_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German Anti Tank 75mm Dio
posty1978
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 186 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 08:10 PM UTC
Hi, here is a small dio I built recently. The vegetation is Woodland Scenic products. Used a stiff brush to scrub the static grass gently to make it stand...I dont have a grassinator. Is there any other way to make the grass stand without using a grassinator? Also, do I need to put some more vegetation around? Comments and criticism welcome..

Target Acquired I by dioramaposty, on Flickr

Target Acquired II by dioramaposty, on Flickr
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Sudeep

It looks like you did a really good job on the old tamiya kit is it??
I also don't have a grassinator so I have tried using a hair dryer to blow the grass up so to speak, then I just tease it up a bit more with a stiff brush. I also turn the diorama on it's side as I blow it do that gravity also helps.

If you want you can see the results do far on WIP dio I am doing that is called my 1st dio & model in 25yrs & see if maybe that is the type of result you may like to start with??

I would maybe carry the ground work all the way up to your boarder as it looks like the ground drops away, unless that is a ditch or something you have model in.

Happy Modeling

Cheers Mike
posty1978
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 186 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:51 PM UTC
Thanks Mike for the comments and yes this one's an old kit I found in my stash while cleaning my room .... I also used a plastic ruler, rubbed on my head and hovered it around near the grass that also helps in making them stand a bit...I really dont want a grassinator and want to do it in the most easiest way ... will try ur steps also next time and yes I was also thinking about putting some more vegetation around the edges
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hey, that old Tamiya kit looks pretty good, I've built a couple myself. Well, it makes sense the grass is flattened around the gun area...it'd get trampled pretty quickly! If you want a cheap and easy foliage addition, get an old paint brush, add thinned paint for whatever colour you like, cut it up in different lengths, and glue it onto your dio. Maybe even lay some on a couple of logs in front of the gun to add that "concealment" factor! It's lookin' good anyway....
 _GOTOTOP