_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Finally finished my Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hi all

This is the spectacular Tamiya Full Option King Tiger.

Whilst the KT is great straight out of the box, I could not help myself and started upgrading it. This was a slippy slope! I kicked off by upgrading all the running parts so it is as good as it gets as a runner.

Up front are Impact all-metal gearboxes with upgraded motors enabling this heavy monster to easily handle 45 degree slopes.

The suspension was upgraded with more supple torsion bars and I spent far too much money buying Wecohe's all steel wheels which add a lot of weight. Finally I threw on some Impact metal tracks. The combination of the wheel weight and the supple suspension will really helps this glide over anything. At the rear I used the almost compulsory upgrade for the track tension adjustors.

I then moved on to the cosmetic upgrades and started by replacing almost all of the standard screws with hex-bolts which just seem more fitting for a beast like this.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the texture right, using Mr. Surfacer 500 and a lot of sanding to achieve the rolled-steel look and putty to create the weld seams.

Photo-etch meshes from Wecohe and the Schumo Kits detailing set and real steel towing cables give extra depth to the model.

I painted it in the classic 'ambush' scheme. This really was a labour of love and it has about 12 coats of paint on there! It was my first time out with an airbrush and I was delighted with how easy it actually was to create a realistic finish. I used the miraculous Silly Putty to mask of the complex camo and then just hand-painted the millions of small dots.

Finally it was all gently weathered with some oils and pigments to try to really pick out the texture and to give the paint some variation.

The steel tracks were washed in a variety of oils but I held back on over-rusting them.

There is no radio fitted yet and I also need to fit the machine gun and finally fit the turret rotation motor which I always do last after painting.

I hope you like it. Thanks for looking.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 03:30 AM UTC
really impressive work,your texturing does look like steel for sure,need to see it next to something else to get the size perspective !!
Removed by original poster on 05/22/12 - 08:13:11 (GMT).
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 08:24 PM UTC
Annoyingly I messed around with Picasa last night and deleted my photos So here they are again:

vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Annoyingly I messed around with Picasa last night and deleted my photos So here they are again:

And as soon as I add them the second time, they reappear in the original post

I don't really understand the internet!
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 10:26 PM UTC
[/quote]
I don't really understand the internet! [/quote]

It would appear I still don't get it! Was cleaning up my Picasa (hate the new g+ structure) and deleted most photos from my old posts.

I get very frustrated when searching forums and discovering posts where the photos are now void, so thought I would try to implant them one last time!

JSoltoft
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 10:50 PM UTC
Awesome Tiger Noel. The camo is just perfect. No numbers or ?

- Johan
 _GOTOTOP