_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Bogie Units
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
I recently found an article that stated the Bogie units on the Tamiya M4A3 Sherman need additional bolts and bolt holes. The recommended correction directs you to drill four holes on the open side of the housing. Then to add Grandt Line bolts to the top of the skids where they attach to the housing. My question, does anyone know what size the Grandt bolts need to be?
thanks
DJ
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
210cav....

I don't know the exact size, but these pictures should give you an idea ...

Hope this helps a little-
Jeff
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 415 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
The Tamiya bogy assemblies are not correct and need to be replaced with the horizontal support arms as shown in the post above. The bogy units can be swapped with the Academy M10/Achilles/M-12 units. In fact, each of the Academy kits has two spare bogy units.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya bogy assemblies are not correct and need to be replaced with the horizontal support arms as shown in the post above. The bogy units can be swapped with the Academy M10/Achilles/M-12 units. In fact, each of the Academy kits has two spare bogy units.

Not quite. The Tamiya bogeys -- with upswept arms -- are fine for the M4A3. The same sprues, however, are in the Tamiya M4 kit. They are incorrect for the "early" M4 -- it is the kit that DOES need the horizontal arm bogies, as Yagdpanzer says.

DJ -- not sure exactly what part number are on those Grandt Line bolt heads. I just picked up a variety (long-since threw away the packages) of hex-head bolts (with and without wahsers) and select the proper size using the M1 Eyeball. Those bolts on the bogey skids are so small they can be represented by small sliced of styrene rod -- they are fly specks in 1/35th scale (probably 1/2-inch bolts in real life). To add the bolts on the bottom of the bogies, you need larger hex heads -- perhaps 1/32nd inch?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:39 AM UTC
Using the pic supplied by JRNelson, I placed arrows pointing to where the bolts and bolt holes need to be placed if you choose to detail them. (bear with me, I'm at work using a dinosour of a PC)

I used Plastruct hex rod for these. They're cheaper than the Grandts and look the part quite well. I do not know what sizes I used off hand - I'm at work but will give you the sizes when I get home later today.

EDIT I used 0.8mm for the smaller bolts and 1mm for the three large ones.

There are four needed for the skids, one for the return roller, three larger ones for the bottom of the bogie unit and four holes drilled in the open side of the unit.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
My Friends--- Thank you once again for your invaluable assistance
DJ
 _GOTOTOP