_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamyia 1/25 centurion, R/C able or not ?
Komet163
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
I am looking at buying the 1/25 scale Centurion that tamiya has available. My question is whether or not this model is a canidate for R/C conversion. I am also looking at buying a toystar Chieftan in 1/25 scale for rc conversion. Is this even possible ?

John Bollig
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
welcome to the site komet,
i believe the tamiya centurion in both 1/35 and 1/25 have both been available as motorised kits, so r/c conversions should be possible.
it would be possible to motorise almost any large scale kit, given enough skill.
cheers
joe
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi. I think the tamiya models are fine, but having tried to convert the Toystar T34..... I wouldn't bother. The kit if fine and ripe for the job. The problem is the tracks. They are dreadful. Cheap, thin vinyl. Awful!!! Unless you can successfuly make replacement links out of resin or similar, I would not waste the rest of your hair... Hope this helps
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC
The original motorized 1/25 scale Centurion Mk III was DT-114. It was not R/C, but it probably could be since several other 1/25 scale kits came in both motorized and wire R/C versions.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC
I have the Tamiyia 1/25 Centurion and yes it is capable of being convertied to R/C. There is plenty of room in the hull for all the motors and such. The kit comes with lots of interior detalis and includes an engine. If you omit the engine you will have more room for cervos and such.

This kit is one of the better 1/25 kits from Tamiyia. So far I've built the Jagdpanther (Academy's knock off), the T-34/85 and have the Panther and 2 Tigers on my waiting list. The Tigers also have alot of interior details but the Centurion seems to have a bit more.

Hope this helps.
r19f
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:58 AM UTC
hi
i have both the cent and the chieftan and as others have said kits can be but the tracks cant.in a scale of 1 to 10 the tracks get -5 so the answer is 1 scratch new tracks. 2 leave well alone.
regards
eddie
 _GOTOTOP