_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
RMG: The Hartenstein Gazet ...... Edition #1
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:20 AM UTC
Ola People

The first Edition from the Hartenstein Gazet just rolled off our Illegal Press. All the Information/Pics and other important stuff about the Remember Market Garden Campaign will be posted in this paper during the whole campaign.
Enjoy

If you know something from wich you say: Wooow the hartenstein Gazet has to know this, Feel free to mail it to the editors.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hope you guys will enjoy this letter

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm really keen to enter an aircraft in this Airborne campaign, but the special rules are really proving a problem...

So far I haven't found a single reference pic of an aircraft with a building or bush in sight... does grass count as "foliage"? Your own pic of C-47s would be outside the scope of the Campaign...

Any help (esp. refs ) would be great!

All the best

Rowan
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 08:16 PM UTC
Merlin,

you have a point here... I'll have a meeting with the RMG Campaign staff later today.... I'll get back to you about this matter.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
Merlin,
How about a tree (or bush) next to the tarmac if its preflight or a country house or shack in a field in a DZ

Another idea is to go small scale 1/72 maybe and do a take off scene, ie use a clear rod to hold an AC over the ground over trees

I came into this weekend with only one decent idea (the tricycle supply guy). I had checked out "A Bridge To Far" earlier this week. I have devoured 1/2 of it (an amazing feat for a slow reader such as myself) and now have wayyyy to many ideas.
- narrow foot bridge in Best
- German officers reviewing captured plan and discounting it
- German AA position under a haystack
- Germans diging in defensive positions around bridge heads
- British Paratoopers scattering a road from a sniper

Last note - Hats off the Faust and Eagle for such a cool newsletter. You two are really kicking this campaign up a notch. Well done
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC
Great work Faust and Eagle. Great to see you guys keeping this campaign alive and the newspaper is a great idea to get that across. I was saddened a few times to see the excitment of a new campaign starting only to be swept away by the fever of the next campaign. The campaign leader has a duty to keep bringing the campaign to the forefront and keeping interest alive. Hopefully all campaigns happening now and in the future will look to this one....... for inspiration. Keep it up ...... Im even considering joining in and I have promised myself to take a break and do something of my own wishlist. I have been involved in four campaigns in a row and Im getting weary. Hopefully we will see more editions of the newsletter! Best of luck!!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hopefully we will see more editions of the newsletter! Best of luck!!

We'll provide a new edition every week to keep you guys posted on the progress.
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 06:57 AM UTC
lookning great robert and danny. I'm waiting to see the next one. merlin for waht kind of plane do u need references?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Vlady

My problem is finding a picture of any aircraft that...

a. Definitely took part in Market Garden, and
b. Includes some foliage or building, so that it complies with the Campain rules.

I first thought of doing a Dakota but, even if I could find a suitable photo, building the Monogram kit would be a big job in itself - and that's before doing a diorama for it!

Much more manageable would be a fighter bomber. Slodder has sent me some wonderful extracts of text about P-51s, P-47s and Typhoons, but it all comes back to finding photos.

I thought I'd cracked it when I read that Tempests of Nos 80 and 274 Sqns flew flak suppression missions on Sept 17th. They were based at Manston at the time, but the only photos I've found date from early October after they'd moved to Volkel... and of course Market Garden was over!

Any help would be wonderful.

All the best

Rowan
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
rowan i'll search through magazines and the net and see what i can find.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:51 AM UTC
Cheers Vlady!!

I've been amazed at how few photos there seem to be of this element of Market Garden...

All the best

Rowan
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

We discussed this matter in the RMG staff meeting and we decided to leave the rules "as is". We were aiming at the peoples creativity when we set up the rules.... this idea still stands, so the rules remain unchanged.

Although I must admit that this IS a difficult matter, I must also say that it CAN be done. So I urge you to be creative...dive in the www again...... I hope you come up with a creative solution.... no... I don't hope...I KNOW you will come up with something good.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi Danny

Would this be within the rules?

No 16 Sqn flew reconnaissance over Arnhem. These pics are dated to just prior to Market Garden. They were taken at Bayeux, but aircraft were detached to Northolt for the actual missions...

It would be cool to do a pink Spitfire, but would this be bending the rules too far?

All the best

Rowan
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Merlin-
I had a similar question about the rules clarification and finding photo documentation. I PM'd Eagle with my question.. my question is in italics, his response is bolded.

I think the main point for the "historically correct" aspect of the rules is to force people to do a little research on this, so as to avoid things like Russian troops and T-34's, etc. It sounds like you have done your homework on this.... I don't necessarily think that you need to find a photo of a plane parked by a building or a bush and re-create the scene EXACTLY. If I am reading this correctly, I would think that an aircraft depicted from a documented unit (text or photo - preferrably photo) that operated during Market-Garden would be sufficient. As long as the dio you build has a building or a bush/tree in it. You state that No 16 Squadron flew recon over Arnhem, and provided pictures of how the aircraft were marked..... maybe some text documenting the fact that this unit did indeed participate in the operation would be sufficient. I don't want to speak for Eagle or Faust here, but I would have no problem with that.

I am doing a 9th SS PzKpfw IV of Hohenstauffen, Kampfgruppe Harzer north of Arhnem... with associated crew, and a dispatch rider on a BMW notifying the commander of the airborne landings (the vehicles were being entrained for departure of the area when the allied attack occurred). Naturally the tanks then were sent into the battle, and not re-deployed to the east. I am trying to come up with photos - but nothing so far. All the PzKpfw IV photos for this operation that I have are burned out wrecks. Obvioulsy, I plan on depicting a scene prior to this outcome. I hope this helps a little.

Eagle or Faust, if I am incorrect in my assumption that my "scene" would be OK - let me know and I'll figure something else out I can't wait to get started.....

Hi Danny, I posted this question under your rules topic in the campaign forum. I thought that I'd PM you just in case you didn't see my post.
just a quick question....
I like the "historically accurate" stipulation in the rule - very good idea. I was wondering if that means we must find a photo of a particular vehicle, or if general unit documentation would be enough.
I want to depict a PzKpfw IV-H serving with the 9th SS Panzer Regiment "Hohenstaufen". This unit operated these vehicles and took part in the Market Garden action - but do I need to come up with an exact picture of the tank I do? Or can I model one based on typical vehicles of that time period serving with this unit, as far as modifications and unit markings go? I know how a PzKpfw IV serving in this Korps was marked and what field modifications would be present on such a vehicle... but I don't know if I can come up with an actual photo of the tank I want to build. Can I have a little latitude as far as the specific vehicle goes? If you want a picture of a 9th SS PzKpfw IVH - I can do that... but to get a picture of THE tank I model will be tough. Sorry to bother you with this.... but I can hardly wait to get started.... fun! Please let me know what you think...
Thanks-

Hi,
If you decide to build a "Hohenstaufen Vehicle" that's ok. The purpose of the "historical accurate" part is to have people do research, so they learn a little of what happened in those days. The Hohenstaufen was heavily involved. Just find a phrase in a book, or a pic pointing to the Division and / or the vehicle.

I can read you did your homework, so go ahead planning your initial idea ! and....don't start before November 1 !!
Keep us posted on the progress.
Danny
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hi Jeff

Thanks for your clarification. :-) Your post has prompted me to re-read the special rules and I think I might have made life unnecessarily hard for myself...

It certainly does look like a text reference is just as valid as a photo, with no need to re-create the scene exactly. With that in mind, I think both the Spitfire and Tempest would be suitable subjects.

The great thing about RMG is the research element. I've been through every book I can find to get info about the operation to prepare for this campaign. :-)

All the best

Rowan
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:59 PM UTC
Wow.

The propaganda department really works! I trust the editors follow the progress of the gorilla situation so we can avoid meeting them on a dark alley...

FAUST, my hatīs off to your vintage graphic design skills!
But are you absolutely sure that those typefaces were in use that time? You fooled me anyway. What typefaces did you use? Just asking because Iīve tried making something similar a few times and the choice of type is always critical.

How do you like my signature?
(Typefaces are Hightower Text and Beethoven Rough.)
#:-)

Toni
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It certainly does look like a text reference is just as valid as a photo, with no need to re-create the scene exactly. With that in mind, I think both the Spitfire and Tempest would be suitable subjects

Spot on !! You got it guys..... text or picture reference !

Happy hunting !

And Toni.... Excellent sig banner .... I like the "it's raining men" slogan...

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:31 PM UTC
Ola People

It`s nice to see the reactions on the Hartenstein Gazet. I really Appreciate it and the next Editon will come very soon.

Envar the Typefont used in this paper was Georgia. It`s a nice font and looks like it`s quite an old typefont. If you check out the standard fonts list of Windows you`ll sure find three or four good fonts that will give an old view when you use it. If you are using Mac then I have no idea what to do with the Typefonts but I`m sure the mac has some good ones too

_GOTOTOP