_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Why No German Armor Subforum?
CptSpitfire
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 02:03 PM UTC
I find it odd that you have a separate subforum for Russian/Soviet armor, but you don't have one for German armor which is probably one of the biggest areas of armor modeling. Why is there no German armor subforum?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 10:21 PM UTC
Most of the traffic on here is German armour........I'd rather see an Allied subforum so that I could cut out all the Panthigerhetzer stuff.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
Remember, you can use the Discussion Group feature, not perfect but will focus on certain areas.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 07:33 AM UTC
I floated this idea years ago but people seemed to prefer the current setup.

Cheers,
Jim

CptSpitfire
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Remember, you can use the Discussion Group feature, not perfect but will focus on certain areas.

Why couldn't that have been done with Russian/USSR armor as well?

I know I'm challenging the status quo.
CptSpitfire
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I floated this idea years ago but people seemed to prefer the current setup.

Cheers,
Jim

Thanks for the heads up. It does lead to an interesting question, though. Where should one list Yugoslavian and Third World Cold War armor? It doesn't technically fit under USSR and there isn't a discussion group for it under the Armor/AFV forum.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi Spitfire,

The Russian forum is an exception to the rule, and I have to say I tend to post my armour topics in the main AFV forum. There is no "perfect" way to organise a site as broad as this - some folk will want separate forums for just one subject (to make their own lives easier by eliminating off-subject stuff) while others with a range of interests don't want to have to search half a dozen separate forums each time they visit the site. Jim S takes the sensible approach as Publisher by letting us Users argue the issue amongst ourselves rather than imposing his own will on us! Seems the subject pops up every now & again...

My own 2 cents is that I'd rather the German stuff stayed within the AFV forum, because I model both sides of the war (along with other non-WW2 stuff) and find it easier for me if the forums are divided by functions eg Painting, Figures, AFVs like they are now. Although I have occasional interest in Russian stuff, I tend to overlook that forum, and thus probably miss out on some good info...

Welcome to the site!

Tom
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:03 AM UTC
Oh go on, I'm all curious now, what is the origin of the separate Russian forum? I'm talking historical fact, not opinion on right or wrong of it.. .
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 03:04 AM UTC
Sub-forums are bunk.
I have only a vague idea what sub-forums there are. My bookmark goes straight to "Latest Posts". That's the single best feature of "the network" here.
I watch all the goings on in all the genres.

Why confine yourself to a ghetto? I personally don't build cars or battle dioramas for example, but I love to see what the talent is making in all the areas, and often pick up an idea I can use later.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 03:32 AM UTC
Although I can't see any practical way to "un-ring the bell," since changing the site's design would probably cause more problems than it might fix, I have to agree with Tom Cromwell's observation.

I build armor across all eras and nationalities, and so I only ever have passing interest in any particular area at any particular time. This means that I usually don't filter the AFV Forum but rather use the "new post" feature to keep up with interesting topics, subject area independent. However, I almost never open and look through the Soviet/Russian forums, so I'm also sure that I miss a lot of interesting topics there.

I'd actually submit that instead of having a separate forum for German or Allied or other breakdowns (like with the Soviet/Russian Forum), that what would be best would be to eliminate the Soviet/Russian separate forum and incorporate it into the AFV Forum. Certainly give it a "filter" option like with the others (Canadian, Axis, etc). At least this way, I'd see the new topics listed with all the others, and if someone was only interested in Soviet/Russian (like if someone is only interested in WWII German), the posts could be filtered that way.

However, even the filter options as now listed have some "curiosities." For instance, Modern USA and Modern Armor - plenty of room there for subjects to get lost in - and British Armour, Canadian Armour and WWII Allied - again, lots of space to lose subjects in. Having multiple sub-forums that a particular subject can be posted under means, for me at least, that trying to use the filters is... well... less than efficient. You have to look in too many places already for information.

If you were going to make any change, I suggest allowing posters to select more than one sub-forum when posting a new topic. For instance, a Canadian, WWII Firefly, could be listed as both Canadian and Allied-WWII, or say an Egyptian T-55 could be listed as Modern and Soviet/Russian, or perhaps an IDF M-5 half-track could be listed under IDF, Modern, and US Armor. This way, the AFV Forums, sub-forum filters could capture multi-era, multi-nationality subjects easier.

A slightly easier to use "search" function would also be nice. Right now, searching for, say, build articles or kit reviews on the M4 Sherman tank is quite difficult and returns too many items.

But, better to collapse some of the forums rather than to expand, IMO. But since making any forum changes at this stage would be pretty impractical, leaving well-enough alone is probably the best bet.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 09:44 AM UTC
My 2c as a long time user and former staff member: users frequently "misfile" their posts when presented with too many options. Just keep it simple.

I really like Mike's idea of dumping the Soviet forum and the introduction of tags (which is what I think he's suggesting).

R
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 01:29 PM UTC
This topic has been brought up many times, including me. I agree with the rest of the guys that German armor seems to be prevelant over all other types. Why there is a Russian forum, I do not know. Nothing against it, I enjoy a good 4BO or modern Soviet kit. The problem seems to be, to me, that if we have a German subforum, where do we stop? It's a slippery slope argument. I find myself doing more modern subjects, lately, but can understand why it is listed separately. What we may want to ask is "why is there no WWII forum?". This would be a very popular forum and remove all of the subforums to be relabled as a single "modern" forum. Just MHO.
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 09:02 AM UTC

Speaking as a fairly new visitor to this site, a site that I enjoy alot, I have to say that I was fairly shocked on my first visit to see that you do not have a sub section dedicated to WW2 German Armor.

My passion has always been WW2 German and Russian Armor, with a healthy side interest in T-55's, T-62's and T-72's, I tend to keep my passion for German armor burried under the surface, almost as if I feel ashamed of it, lol.

I hang around in the Russian sub forum simply because it is focused, focused on one subject, that lets me jump in there knowing that I will find things that interest me, and find them fairly quickly.

I think adding a WW2 German Armor sub section is worth considering tbh

Maybe do -

WW2 German Armor
WW2 Allied Armor
Modern Armor

Then just keep the Russian sub section as it is.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe do -

WW2 German Armor
WW2 Allied Armor
Modern Armor

This is exactly the direction I foresaw in wanting a German armor forum. Nothing against you Matt. It is a slippery slope. If the Armor Forum is split up, when does it stop? This also means that people browsing the forums will have to go to another subforum to see posts pertinent to it. You must also consider that WWII was a world-wide war. Where do IJA and the Italians fit in? What would be more comprehensive is a "WWII" and "Modern Armor" forum. Then, there will still be the question of "why isn't there a German Armor forum?".
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 05:58 PM UTC
Although I have a main interest area I prefer things as they are. I wouldn't visit sub forums but do like to drop in on other areas which the AFV forum allowes me to do and latest posts keep me up to date across the board.

Al

Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Maybe do -

WW2 German Armor
WW2 Allied Armor
Modern Armor

This is exactly the direction I foresaw in wanting a German armor forum. Nothing against you Matt. It is a slippery slope. If the Armor Forum is split up, when does it stop? This also means that people browsing the forums will have to go to another subforum to see posts pertinent to it. You must also consider that WWII was a world-wide war. Where do IJA and the Italians fit in? What would be more comprehensive is a "WWII" and "Modern Armor" forum. Then, there will still be the question of "why isn't there a German Armor forum?".

I totally agree, it is indeed a slippery slope, and where do you stop ?

Well, the answer as to where you stop, lays with the guys running the site, they have to make a decision, and then stand by it.

One thing is for sure in my mind 'Armor AFV' needs a spring clean, I think anything that relates to new products needs to be placed in a seperate section, Armor AFV is just a jumbled mess at the moment.

And in my mind removing the Russian sub forum would be a step backwards, not a step forwards, if all the Russian related stuff then got placed in Armor AFV the situation would just be even worse, with Armor AFV becoming even more of a jumbled mess.

Add a 'New Products' section, all articles relating to any form of new products goes in that new section, this would clean up Armor AFV to a certain extent.

Tbh, there is a ton of stuff that could be done to make the site a better browsing experience, the sad truth is we now live in a world where people just want quick easy hits, they do not like doing searches, and if they do not find what they are looking for fairly quickly, then they lose interest, sad but true.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Maybe do -

WW2 German Armor
WW2 Allied Armor
Modern Armor

I totally agree, it is indeed a slippery slope, and where do you stop ?

Well, the answer as to where you stop, lays with the guys running the site, they have to make a decision, and then stand by it.

One thing is for sure in my mind 'Armor AFV' needs a spring clean, I think anything that relates to new products needs to be placed in a seperate section, Armor AFV is just a jumbled mess at the moment.

And in my mind removing the Russian sub forum would be a step backwards, not a step forwards, if all the Russian related stuff then got placed in Armor AFV the situation would just be even worse, with Armor AFV becoming even more of a jumbled mess.

Add a 'New Products' section, all articles relating to any form of new products goes in that new section, this would clean up Armor AFV to a certain extent.

Tbh, there is a ton of stuff that could be done to make the site a better browsing experience, the sad truth is we now live in a world where people just want quick easy hits, they do not like doing searches, and if they do not find what they are looking for fairly quickly, then they lose interest, sad but true.

"New" products can usually be found in the "News" forum or "Feature" forum. It is posted in subforums to make it more likely to be seen by the venue it covers. My suggestion to find "new" items is to sign up for e-mail news directly from the manufacturer's site. You don't get a review, but you will be more likely to find a review if you know what is out there.
 _GOTOTOP