_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Problems gluing Calibre 35 Resin.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 07:43 AM UTC
I started working on a new project that includes two different Calibre 35 accessory sets. This is my first time using any of their accessory sets and this far, their resin appears to be resistant to being glued.

The cyanoacrylate glue I'm using is working fine with the other resin and metal parts I'm using. The parts were washed too.

The CA I'm using is generic crazy glue which I've gotten great results from. I'm generally not a fan of paying five times more for hobby specific CA glue, especially when it goes bad before I can finish using it.

Any suggestions? Alternative adhesives?

Thanks.
-Sherb
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 08:59 AM UTC
5 minute epoxy glue is all I use. Never fails on any type of construction of materials.

You'll probably get another 4 or 5 different answers ... hope one works for you.

~ Jeff
juljon
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi,

Why not prime the part first, I use acrylic paint to prime then I use the CA glue and it works.

Regards

Julian
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 09:47 AM UTC
Priming the parts first might work for applications where the parts in question don't come under much stress. Even though CA would probably bond well to primer, the resulting joints' weakest link will be the primer's hold to the resin surface, which most likely isn't as strong as could be achieved with a good resin to CA joint.

I haven't personally used Calibre35 products so I can't unfortunately comment on the resin they use. Have you tried cleaning the resin parts with anything else? There could be some mold release residue, grease or something else that's prohibiting CA from bonding that didn't get washed away for some reason or another. Acetone, thinner or rubbing alcohol could be worth a try.

It could be the CA as well, though if the brand you've been using has been working without trouble, I'd doubt it's the culprit. If anything else fails, trying a different brand could a thing to try, though.

GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 11:59 AM UTC
I've used the crazy glues on the Calibre48 stuff. Sometimes a little light sanding helps roughen the edges to be glued, and sometimes less is more when adding the glue to get it to stick.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 07:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations guys. After a failed attempt with another brand of CA, I had some success with a tiny drop of Loctite's gel super glue. I just hope it keeps working as I move on to some of the smaller bits.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC
I meant to mention that I too sand the area the glue is to be applied.

AFTER cleaning that is.

~ Jeff
 _GOTOTOP