_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter Leopold - first impression
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:08 AM UTC
I just started the Trumpeter Leopold and frankly I am over whelmed. There are hundreds of small parts to the railroad "truck" - and you have to build two! Or should it be you get to build two.

I saw a review somwhere that described this model as well detailed, etc - but boring. I may have to agree.

My main issue is with the instructions. Thet aren't very clear about the position of many parts, especially the small ones that make up the trucks. The parts are well detailed, cut from the sprue very cleanly, etc. There are just so many of them.

I also have the Dragon kit - I ordered it before the Trumpeter became available. I plan to build both, in comperable stages and compare the two as I go. I'll post my feelings here and pictures on the review board.

Question, since there are already say ten of a small part on a spue - why can't the manufacturer go ahead and supply twelve? I've already been on my knees a few times tracking down a part that lept from my tweezers trying to commit suicide. So far, Ive tracked them down.

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi. Understand the overwhelmingness of this kit. I think that everybody who gets one of these feels the very same way. Parts, parts, parts, and more parts!!!!! And, so far, the trucks are by far the worst. Just in the springs, shackles, and supports there are almost 100, per car. Definitely a monster! But it's definitely worth it once it's done, which is a longs way off on this end.

Be careful about the shackles that go on the end of the last springs. Parts G-15 and -16. There is an up side and a down side to them.I put them on backwards on the first set I did and had to use a model saw blade to cut out the excess so they would fit correctly, or at least look better and more straight up and down.

No, sometimes the instructions aren't too clear. What ever happened to the good instructions we used to get years ago? The models have gotten better, but the instructions have gone down hill. Maybe it's a sign of the times. There are areas where you will just have to look and think about it a while. I find I have to do this more often myself now-a-days. Don't know if this is just poor instructions or the age thing. Ha!

You are just going to have to be very careful, as there is no spares of anything. If you drop something you will just have to find it. Luckily I haven't lost anything, as of yet that is. Just waiting though. But time is what a hobby is all about. I saw on the Hyper Scale site that the person who built their kit took 128 hours to complete.

Good luck and take care, sgirty
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question, since there are already say ten of a small part on a spue - why can't the manufacturer go ahead and supply twelve? I've already been on my knees a few times tracking down a part that lept from my tweezers trying to commit suicide. So far, Ive tracked them down

i know hiw you feel thats what led me to start the "what annoys you the most " thread.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Ive been thinking of doing one of these but not sure which is better.the trumpeter kit has 1150 pieces and the dragon model 750
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
I was at a model contest yesterday. One of the entries was The Dragon Leo. Amazing! I was told that the modeler finished at 2 AM yesterday.
I have the Trumpeter kit on layaway (my Christmas gift from my wife) and am reading these threads with great interest. This looks like a major commitment.
Chuck
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
I cannot wait to start mine....It sits on a shelf, and I open it and look it over again every time I read through a new thread. I am gonna start it....son
 _GOTOTOP