_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
The Scrapyard
TigerDioramas
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi all
as a quite new memder i wanted to ask you a quite big question abbout my new dio:
The dio should show a fictional scrapyard in europe during a fictional 3rd world war in 1962. The idea is showing scattered tanks that are just thrown anywhere and some russian soldiers and civilians that are searching for something valuabel.
My problem is that ive got no idea what models to buy .does anyone have a idea what tanks, at guns,jeeps an armoured cars have been used in this time by america and russia ? Some time before ive seen a russian cars whose frame is like from a six-wheel-truck but armoured from all sides. Id be intersted how he is called.
And already thank you for youre help and sorry for the bad englisch (im german).
MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 02:44 AM UTC
i think you may be referring to the BTR 152 they were used from the 50s through the 70s i believe im no soviet armor expert and im not sure if anyone even makes a kit of one, but your your dio sounds great if you need photos of bone yards i got some from around assghanastan
TigerDioramas
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 08:48 PM UTC
yeah it really is the btr 152: ive found in a wikipedia article that he got into service 1950 but has been put out of the service as infantry carrier in the early 70s .The good thing the he remained in other roles till 1993. Now ive got the next choise: SKIF (dont know how good models they make) brings him as a 1/35 model:i could use the AA version( http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Militaermodellbau_135/Radfahrzeuge/Modern_ab_1945/BTR-152E__i38_15537_0.htm ) or use the normal version and change it to this : http://www.kgwings.com/btr152s/btr152s_02.jpg (using the radio from my german halftrack i never finished and a lot of plasticcard).
p.s.: it would be really nice to send me those pics from the scrapyards
p.p.s.: right now im developing the finshed idea how big the dio is goin to be (even though i dont know what vehicles to put into ).
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
You could probably scrap a few T 34 / 85s as they soldiered on through WW 2 into Korea ,( Viet Nam ,the Middle East , all the way into Bosnia in the 90s) . AFV makes a version with a full interior . So picking up some cheaper versions ( Tamiya , Zvezda ) you could use the engine in one wreck , the tranny in another , the crew interior in the third .
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 02:02 AM UTC
Well, it would be a fiction diorama, so the accuracy might not be your main concern

Anyway in 1962 there were very few T-34/85 still on duty.

You should use T-54, T-55 T-62 (1962 version). It would be nice a T-44 wreckage, but there are no kits of it yet

A T-54 is made by Trumpeter,regarding the T-55 the best one is made by Tamiya, anyway if you want an indication about some cheap models useful for this projcts you can use

Trumpeter T54 and 55

Tamiya T-62 (It's still available on e-bay and is incredibly cheap) otherwise ther is the trumpeter kit, but it could be quite expensive for your purpose

Interesting what-if project.

I'd really like to see your job

Cheers

TigerDioramas
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 01:01 AM UTC
@Jim: The T-34 arent really what I thought. I just think of them as a WWII fighter and a cheap war machine for some other countries. It doesent fit for me into that WWIII scene (even though it would be realistic ).
@Mauro: thnaks
ill look for some t-54 t-55 or t-62 in the internet and then choose the best

in this week ill try to use paint to make some pictures to express my ideas (ill try to keep it small that im ctually able to finish it)

till then ,
keep on building
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 05:06 AM UTC
Personally I would use-
APC-
Skif BTR-152 (Mediocre)
Trumpeter BTR-50 (Excellent new kit, although it has rubber band tracks)
Trumpeter BTR-40 (Great detail)
Trumpeter BTR-60 (Amazing detail)

Truck-
Miniart Gaz truck (Nice detail)
Bronco Gaz-69 (Nice detail)

Armored Car-
Dragon BRDM-2 (old and simple kit which turns out great, caution, tyres may split)
Eastern Express BRDM-1 (not the easiest to assemble but looks good when done)

Tank-
Tamiya T-55A (Best T-55 avaliable in plastic)
Tamiya T-62A (it lacks alot of detail but is cheap)
Trumpeter T-62 (Far superior detail!)
Dragon T-34 (Outstanding)
Trumpeter PT-76 (Good kit apart from the tracks)

SPG-
Trumpeter ASU-85 (Fantastic)
Tamiya SU-85 (Nice and simple but great)

To name but a few. There are several other vehicles you could have, it just depends on how much you want to pay. There are many more manufactures making the vehicles I have listed so take your pick. It just what came to mind.
Thanks
Euan
MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 07:59 AM UTC
here are some pics if i remember how to post them

MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
partially successful their so small they don't help ill re-size them and try again. but what i would get out of it is notice almost every hatch and sponson box are opened as if some one has gone through them
MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 08:08 AM UTC
ok round two of the photos
MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 07:35 AM UTC
okay round three
MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC
round 4
MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
that's better here are some more

TigerDioramas
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:08 PM UTC
@Euan Angus: thank you for the overview
ill google em and look if someone fits into.
you seem as if you know a lot of kits so I have two questions(if someone else is able to answer he can do this too):
1.Ill be probably using a skif kit for the dio can u say something more about theire quality (how thick the walls are, how good the details, interior?)
2.im looking for a heavy american tank of this area , know a good kit ? (doesent need that muck interior).

@Bill Wise: Wow youre pics are great! Before ive seen them I was frightening that if i pile them too much everywher it could get unrealistic, but no way
The colours seem quite interesting, so ill try to use them in the dio...

Right now im going on problems with some of my pc programs so
I am not able to draw something..
At least i can try to tell you my idea :
So the whole scene will be set up in Hamburg ( a german town,
wich is known for his big harbour).
Some days ago american and russian forces have had a big fight here.
At a pier russian and american tank forces have had a clash.
Now , after the american forces have retreated, the russian forces have set up a field repearing centre between the shot down tanks.
The main chracters will be :
1. A american heavy weight tank who, after the got shot in a track, as got a crawled in the sea an whom has been trid to pull away ( destroyed towing ropes at his back)
2. A Btr 152 as radio vehicle, A Btr 152 as AA vehicle or the
AA vehicle from Bill Wises pre last picture ( hard to decide).
3.A T55 ,T54 or T62 whos is cut right behind the turret and who will be placed with the opened side on one site of the base (so the dio cut him off, hard to explain)
4. part of a ship or even a submarine maybe (both only as a part of the whole ship witch is as long as the base is)witch ill place in the water .

wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:48 PM UTC
Thanks for the pics.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi

Yuo can get great inspirations from these sites

http://lplaces.com/en/technique/military

http://lplaces.com/en/technique/auto

http://lplaces.com/en/technique/avia

http://nevsedoma.com.ua/index.php?newsid=106501

http://lostcity.info/asia/45-kladbishhe-tankov-v-afganistane.html

http://forum.worldoftanks.ru/index.php?/topic/99812-%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%89%D0%B5-%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2-%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5%D0%B2/

http://www.drive2.ru/users/opeleman/blog/288230376152181095/

http://paul-itk.livejournal.com/9681.html

http://saoirse-2010.livejournal.com/23478.html#cutid1

Regarding the model techniques useful to depict abandoned vehicles , take a look to Rob's jobs

http://www.scratchmod.com/

and to the special section in MIG products forum

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=8a12b3bc5e485f99a4913edb30d4ce61

Cheers

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1.Ill be probably using a skif kit for the dio can u say something more about theire quality (how thick the walls are, how good the details, interior?)

Some of them are awful, some othe decent

TTheir T-55 has some ROUGH interior details, but as I told you is maybe the worst T-55 kit on sale. If I were you I'd get the old Trumpeter one. It isn't perfect but is slightly better and is cheap

Probably the best Skif kits are the BTR-152 and the BMD 1P...their T-64 was the only game in town till Trumpeter has announced its kit...Is quite ugly but it could work for you project.

Don't forget the old DML (Revell) T-72. Is uncorrect, but it wouldn't be so bad set in a scrapeyard

anyway, considering that your tanks will look like wrecks, you can get some old dog kits, with any problems
TigerDioramas
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC
Thank you all for the load of information
youre really making it hard for me keeping it small but i say all the time I say to myself that ill only use 2 tanks and 1 armoured car...hope it works...
@Mauro : thank you for that amount of pics ech site would really enable you to make a single dio
thnak you the btr 152 has now a place in my mind.

Soo I had to stop my last post and anyhow i cant edit him anymore so ill keep on writing here:

The ship or sub will be totally scratchbuild ,but illl go on the first, when dthe rest of the dio is finished.

Right now im a bit low on money (whilst studying u arent able to work that much) but im right now building the back part of a civil truck from wood, plastic crad and parts from my stalinorgel... itl be presented next to the us tank probably but pics when hes finished
so till then, keep on building
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 12:07 AM UTC
would your diorama take place in west germany? that would determin what vhehicles to use, a scap yard would most likly be seen after the confict is over and due to a overwhelming superiority the soviet union had over the us and the nato aliies you would see a lot of us made vehicles such as the M60 main battle tank, M113 apc, M151 jeep and M35 2 1/2 ton truck also you may want to add some bundesweher vechicles as well the main tank use by germay at that time was either the M47 patton or the M48 patton, the tank used by the russians at the time would hvae been the T55 and maybe the t62, the russian units that were assined the soviet forces germany alway got the most upto date equiptment such as the T62 main battle tank and the btr-60 ( which replaced the btr-152) i hope this little bit of info helps you if you need futher help i will be happy to help you
TigerDioramas
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 03:30 AM UTC
@Nick
Its just that after a big fight that the russians have left all the destrozed tanks where they have been shot down and onlz took awaz everzthing the thought thez could use (maybe cut em open to get the interior).
Its just taken out of a big scene wich would have been in realitz (maybe).
So the big amount of american tanks could be out of the dio

I hope I answered your questions and thank you for the infomation about the tanks.
I zou have more questions fell free to post
 _GOTOTOP