Meng Merkava Mk.3 Baz
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hello everyone,
I have finally managed build something I consider presentable. I guess many Merkava Mk.3 Dalets are being built around the world, so I decided to try something more unique.

Originally, I intended to convert the Meng kit using a Legend Mk.3B late turret. Now, I have one more expensive paperweight. I advise anyone to buy only recent Legend kits, the older ones are getting smaller and smaller. In my next update, I will extensively compare the Meng and the Legend 3D LIC full resin kit, there is alot to talk about.

So, I decided to rebuild the original Meng turret. I used as reference photos harvested from the Net and the idf modelling site. My main inspiration are the following builds: http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=3089 and https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/130125&page=1

I read that the Meng track are for a late model, so I cannibalized the Friuls from my 3D LIC

I converted the turret using white plastic cards, the geometry is quite complex but with a lot of patience it can be done. I am interested how will it compare to the Mk.3B turret Meng will eventually release. The main part of building is done, now I need to correct my errors and add the fine details, that usually break off . The antislip was done with Tamiya textured sand paint. It is very controllable and easy to remove, so no complex masking is needed. The result is definitely overscale, but I like the rough look. I still need to touch up the antislip around the panel lines. Some parts need to be slightly modified, like the sensor thingie ovet the main gun or the fire extinguishers. Sadly, Meng does not provide para Galils or M4s for the turret. I converted Tank Galils, the racks holding them are not ready yet. For other fine details I used leftover p.e. from Voyager anf Legend.

I am unsure about the little holes on the turret sides. My guess so far is that every Mk.3B has them, but I could not find a good reference photo of the other side of the turret. Could someone help me out?

Feel free to comment and criticize, any feedback is welcome.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 03:08 AM UTC
Very nice and tidy build you have here Arpad. I do not understand what you are saying about Legends products please could you clarify.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice and tidy build you have here Arpad. I do not understand what you are saying about Legends products please could you clarify.

I could be wrong but I suspect he's referring to the fact that their castings seem to be showing more and more shrinkage, to the point where the main pieces like the hull top don't fit the Academy kit parts, leaving major gaps.

Matt
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 03:57 AM UTC
Thank you Matt I was not aware they had this issue as it usually occurs when making moulds from castings you have rather than the original.
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC
I dont have measurments of the real-life Merkava, but I presume the Meng model has the right size. The Legend Mk.3D LIC, which is a relatively new kit (I got it right away as they started making it), is at least 12mm shorter and 6mm narrower. My guess is that theit masters are spot on, the mistake is made during the production.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am unsure about the little holes on the turret sides. My guess so far is that every Mk.3B has them, but I could not find a good reference photo of the other side of the turret. Could someone help me out?

Try here

http://www.supervideo.com/MXCD-ROMOS.htm

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117

https://picasaweb.google.com/barcelodan/Miluim

I like it a lot. The antislip doesn't look overscale in my opinion

What about the kit?

Cheers
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 05:26 AM UTC
Mauro, thank You for the link, it will take me some time until I manage to read it all.

Quoted Text

What about the kit?

Pros:
-Tamiya-level molding and engineering, it is a shake and bake kit. I built the hull in 2 days, the whole thing can be finished in a long weekend
-2 sets of road arms(my Legend Mk.3D is sitting low, the stay in the attic was too hot for it, the road arms got deformed), the indy links are extremely nice
-no moulded-on antislip
-sharp details, which match the reference photos I have very well, I really like the ball and chain, very easy, practical but extremely fragile
-it can be built OOB, I believe this kit sets a new standard

Cons-just nitpicking, ignore if easily offended
-the frame supporting the sensor-thingie on the main gun is too thick and lacks the holes and the notch. See here: http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?mode=P&vmode=T&p=781&id=17898&tp=w they could have included this detail in a small p.e. fret
-the hooks on the side-skirts have to be modified http://data.primeportal.net/tanks/andre_patschke/merkava_mkiii/merkava_mkiii_07_of_37.JPG. Unfortunately I did not take photos of this before hollowing the hooks
-missing Galils from the turret
-TOGA mesh on the rear baskets too thick in my opinion, correct me if I am wrong
-maybe iclude in p.e. form those little plackards on the side skirts (the Voyager Merkava 4 set is just 2 pieces short )and turret add-on.
-the 2 fire exstinguisher looking-like things that go on the turret are of the right length but not "fat" enough.

Thats all, my rating is 95%, recommended for medium and highly skilled modellers.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
Yes. considering that is a quite expensive kit, a PE fret would have been really welcome.
I bought it one week ago and I've been still collecting references. I'm not an IDF expert, it'll be quite hard not to make some mistake.

What paint are you going to use to reproduce the IDF color?

Thanks for the info, if I find other references I'll let you know

cheers
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 08:26 AM UTC
Congrats on a good looking, clean build.

I like the plastic ball and chain armour. Some people will say that it looks a little stiff.. but considering how much difficult and time consuming the metal chains are(speaking from experience)... I'll take the stiff look any day

By the way, do the track pieces click together, or do they need to be glued?

I guess we can look forward to a lot of nice things from MENG in the future!

Hisham
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way, do the track pieces click together, or do they need to be glued?

Hisham, they need to be glued.

Here a group build on IDF modelling site:

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=3107

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=78&sid=fbf0bd394d461656926e935aac97f9b0

As far as I've understood, they are single track links but they are not workable.
Anyway, I don't mind. Considering the kit price, vinyl tracks would have been unacceptable as weel as an extra budget for Friul tracks

cheers
guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 437 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 11:21 PM UTC
Nice work, Arpad. And glad to know you've choosen my Baz as reference for yours.
Hope this pic about the R turret's side could be useful to you

Happy modelling.

arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 07:35 AM UTC
Guido, thank You for the photo, it help me a lot.

Hisham, thank You for the feedback, the tracks are indy style, they have nice detail and require minimal cleanup. Based on a discussion on ML, the kit tracks are "late" style. The Friuls work for early Merkava Mk3s and Magachs.
I dont know if they are a correct choice for my model.
The ball and chain might be a problem if You want to make a diorama with uneven terrain, otherwise it is fine.

Mauro, thank You for the links, good luck in building Your model. The best Mk3D walkaround is on Dishmodel, it shows almost all the details.

I hope to finish the building next week. I am not sure about the color, right now I am desperately trying to assemble everything in my stash. I do not want to end up like some folks who have hundreds of kits waiting to be built. I have 15 projects to go, and not a lot of time .
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 07:47 AM UTC
Guido, I've seen your Merkava job published on "Steel art"

Impressive indeed, congrats!
 _GOTOTOP