_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Paint after it's been built?
matlox
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 04:29 PM UTC
I am quite new to modeling. I have a Tamiya Pink Panther Land Rover and wondered if it is better to build the whole thing and then paint it, or paint bits as I go, like the smaller bits like stowage and guns and such like.

So what would a pro modeler suggest?
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 04:37 PM UTC
Most modellers will (correctly) tell you to build and paint sections, then complete final assembly. You will see this in:

-build logs
-modelling magazines
-the "pro" builds

I do not. I enjoy building everything first. I may keep some parts detachable to ease painting, but I try to get most everything glued down. For most tanks, I will end up with 2 pieces, the turret and the hull, that's it. The wheels and tracks are all assembled. For open hulled vehicles, it is the same way, unless there are some assemblies I just cannot get at after assembly.

I started this way and I have gotten good at it. I think trying new things out is always good, but I will use a different example. For guitar, there are many ways to use a guitar pick depending on what technique you are going for. If you watch Marty Friedman from Megadeth, he will hold the pick completely different than let's say Paul Gilbert. Both are pro's and have gotten used to their playing style. I say "do whatever is comfortable and get good at it!"
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 05:11 PM UTC
I build everything as one unit except the wheels, tracks, and tools. Those get painted and added last. Models aren't engineered to be assembled with paint on the mating surfaces and there's always some cleanup of parts seams before the paint can go on. I think it's best to lock in a seamless tight build before shooting paint.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 06:20 PM UTC
I build the whole model including stowage before painting. You can use the airbrush or a paint brush with thinned paint to reach difficult areas like the tracks. Every build is an experiment so try it both ways
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I build everything as one unit except the wheels, tracks, and tools. Those get painted and added last.

Once the tools are painted, how do you add them to the model? Do you paint them separately with their holders and glue the assembly down, or are the holders already attached and you slide the painted tools into place? I never could figure that out.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 07:18 PM UTC
Really, it depends on what I'm building. If the kit is something like a Sherman, I assemble the entire kit minus the running gear, roadwheels, stowage, and tracks. I find it easier to paint these pieces, before attaching them. Now, if I'm building a kit that has many different colored parts like a spg, I will build subassemblies and paint them separately.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 07:34 PM UTC
Well, maybe for a softskin vehicle, it would be better painting some parts before the assembling.

Think for example to the seats, the spare wheel, the cockpit or the engine.

If you built a tank, it would be quite different, but also in that case some parts need painting before (track links or wheels which have a rubber ring)

cheers
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 11:57 PM UTC
Like just about everything else in the world, the answer is "it depends."

I generally build the entire vehicle, leaving off large road wheels (only when they are large enough to restrict my ability to paint behind them) and track and any stowage. I'll then shoot the paint and add the markings. Then I'll add the painted stowage. I tend to use lead foil for straps and PE tiedowns, so the tiedowns are assembled and painted with the vehicle and the straps are painted later as part of the stowage. Any epoxy putty tarps & the like are added where needed and painted in place. I then paint the tracks and add them.

Once all the parts are in place and have the base colour on them I start to weather everything.

Now, if there is an interior is gets built and painted much as if it was a separate kit, i.e. the actual interior bits are assembeld and given a base coat, any loose stowage (ammo, boxes, canteens, etc) are painted and added and then the interior is weathered. THEN the outer hull/turret is closed up as part of the hull assembly process and the exterior given it's base coat, stowage, weathered, etc, etc.

Each model is a bit different so the approach is a bit different depending upon the needs of the model.

HTH

Paul
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 12:35 AM UTC
depending on what im building determins on how it will be painted for example if im building a modern mbt suach as a leopard or abrams i build the lower hull plus suspension and track then work on the upper hull and side skirts once the upper hull turret and all the other details then ill mask out the tracks and suspension then air brush so i get a clean and smooth and consistant finish now if i were to build a sherman id put the whole thing together that includes all the tools stowed on the deck then hit it with paint due to everthing was painted the same including the tools the minor details can be painted with a brush
 _GOTOTOP