_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Post WWII BT-7?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 05:17 PM UTC
I have a question that I can't find a solid definitive answer to.

Was the BT-7 ever used post-WWII by any country?

I understand that it is generally accepted that the last recorded use of the BT-7 was by the Soviet army during the 1945 liberation of Manchuria. I know of no other records or photographic evidence of the BT-7 in use by any country after this battle.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 05:50 PM UTC
Maybe, Finland (in case of availability of captured BT-7) or Mongolia ?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 06:42 AM UTC
That's a good thought. I don't think that Finland would have kept the BT-7 that long because it wouldn't have met their needs well enough, but it would have been effective for the Mongolians. I would need some kind of proof that it was used by them, or anyone.
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
Yes, BT-7 tanks were used in Mongolia by Soviet army and by Mongolian People's Revolutionary Army during WW2:

Though this photo shows Soviet BT-7 with Russian crewman in Mongolia; but high officer on the ground on this image - is Marshal Choybalsan, Supreme commander in chief of Mongolian Army.

Also there is, for example, one paper in Soviet military archive. In this note is written about one batch of armament supplies from the USSR to Eastern Department of Supply management of Mongolian People's Revolutionary Army. This note dated by February 11, 1944.
Here is citation from this document:
"The transportation of armoured vehicles should be made before February 20, 1944...
BT-7 tanks with 71-TK Radios - 13 examples;
BT-7 ordinary tanks - 12 examples;
armoured cars of different types - 15 examples.
Before shipping all vehicles should be repaired and completed with tools and spare parts..."

With such Date of delivery, close by the end of War, the very high probability is exists, that these tanks were used in Mongolia for some years after War.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 07:03 AM UTC
Jeremy another possibility is the Chinese civil war 1946-50. I found an article that states the Russia supplied the Chinese nationalist with BT series (unclear which series more likely BT-7) prior to WW2. Later these would be used by the republic of China, then captured and reused by the PLA. I’m not sure about colors and marking since I can’t find any photos of them, but if I had to guess, simple Russian green with basic Chinese markings.

Also within the same article, Afghanistan bought a few BT-7’s from Russia. It’s unclear when and how many were bought. Given the state of the country, they would use what ever they can get their hands on. If they were given these tanks, I don’t see them lasting more than a few years after the war due to lack of spare parts.
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
Russian sources have not mentioned any facts of suppies of BT-7 to China and Afghanistan. It is doubtful information.

Chinese Army have used many Japanese tanks and some American vehicles after War.
Afghan Army was too poor and unsofisticated in tank's tactics to use BT-7 as quite modern tanks. But true fact about Afghanistan is this fact, that SU-76 self propelled guns were supplied to Afghanistan - because these SPGs were produced for some years after War; in construction of these vehicles were used automobile's parts, and there were not problems with spare parts.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 08:09 AM UTC
I have my doubts also about the article, but then again there is an off chances that were delivered by a second source outside of Russia. Alot of shady deals just after the war and unofficial ways to receive equipment.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
Ok this is starting to get a little more encouraging. I appreciate everyone's input and I am skeptical about such an article as well, but as Christopher said there has been a lot of Soviet military equipment moved through alternative means.

An example of a BT-7 in use during the Chinese Civil War or post WWII in Afghanistan would be wonderful, and Eduard your information about BT-7's being delivered to Mongolia is very helpful.

Thanks everyone and keep the info/ideas coming!
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
Jeremy I'm trying the best I can to find a picture of the BT-7 in China or astan, but having no luck. Finding a picture of such a rare tank in either country giving that most did not photograph everything and most were censored or lost over time. Right now I say the Mongolian version would be your best bet to go with.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 09:38 AM UTC
I agree Chris, it's certainly a challenge and you've been very helpful even if you're not able to find anything solid. I don't know that any of else will be able to, but I'm not giving up just yet.
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 05:21 AM UTC
One more picture of BT-7 in Mongolia. This source stated, it is year 1939.
If so - this is Soviet BT tank. If no - who knows the truth ?...
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 10:44 AM UTC
Wow thanks Eduard, that is an interesting photo! Like you say, it's hard to tell what the actual time period is. Perhaps someone can shed some light on the tactical symbols on the lead tank? It is missing the front fenders and headlights, which would suggest it's been in service for a while but it's hard to say.
 _GOTOTOP