_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What's this on sherman engine deck
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:04 AM UTC
Looking at this interesting picture on the Shadock Sherman Minutiae site I wonder if anyone knows what the block like object is on the rear deck

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:26 AM UTC
Looks like some kind of improvised gun crutch to me.

Tom
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 10:04 PM UTC
I thought about that Tom but it looks too low to be any use.
After some discussion with the other Sherman nuts on Missing-lynx we decided it is a .50 cal ammo can
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 10:26 PM UTC
Hi Pat,

Playing devils advocate here, what would be the point of keeping a "squashed,deformed, 50 cal ammo box" welded to the rear deck??

My guess & that is all it is that logically the only thing that makes sense is some sort of gun crutch. Not at a completely useful height I would admit, but maybe added to add transportation for some weird reason??

Cheers Mike
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 10:49 PM UTC
I agree with Pat, Looks like a crushed 50 Cal ammo can to me.
wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 11:27 PM UTC
I agree 50 cal.can
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Pat,

Playing devils advocate here, what would be the point of keeping a "squashed,deformed, 50 cal ammo box" welded to the rear deck??

My guess & that is all it is that logically the only thing that makes sense is some sort of gun crutch. Not at a completely useful height I would admit, but maybe added to add transportation for some weird reason??

Cheers Mike

I don't think it's welded to the deck. The tank appears to me to be on fire and the 50 cal box may not have been there at the start of the fire and may be deformed from ammo going off inside it. The 76mm gun couldn't depress enough to touch it if it is fixed in place there.
Plus this is one of the original Operation Cobra Shermans with the flat return rollers and the missing turret ventilators and since this pic was taken in March 1945 it means they would have held on to that "gun crutch" for eight months.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC
Another oddity of the photo.... It's a reverse negative. The all round vision copula is on the wrong side of the turret.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another oddity of the photo.... It's a reverse negative. The all round vision copula is on the wrong side of the turret.

No- then you would see the pistol port It was quite common practice to switch those hatches around. Not sure of the reason but there are lots of photos of tanks with the hatches switched
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

I don't see an ammo can, but I agree the gun crutch idea is unlikely. Could it be a crushed cardboard carton, maybe rations? That dent is about right if somebody leaned back on it like a pillow. Of course, that'd be sometime well before the fatal shot...

As for reversed hatches, I could see a TC being stuck in his ways when upgraded from an older ride. The vision blocks are a mixed blessing, and the new hatch offers less sniper protection for head-out operation. (By the way, the tow cable on the left and the gunner's sight hood are both indicators that the photo is the right way round...)

Tom
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
I still think it's a .50 cal box

Like this:

And there's something leaning up against the box on the far side of the photo, making it appear deformed.
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
Yeap, its just like the picture jesse posted. The lid on those cans come off. It looks like a 50 cal can with the lid missing and crushed in at the center.
 _GOTOTOP