_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
DML BMP-2 Decals
Saar_Star
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 11:17 AM UTC
Hey everyone, I'm just putting the final touches on my Dragon Bmp-2. The decal sheet has a lot of options for different countries and eras but two of the decals I can't identify,and have not been able to find any photos on the Internet of them in use. One is a red and white checkered diamond and the other is a stenciled circle with a "T" in the middle. Anyone know what these markings mean?
Thanks
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 11:27 AM UTC
Alex

Do you have any way to take a picture of it to post, so we can get a better idea?

Thanks
Kevin
Saar_Star
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 12:07 PM UTC
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php?photo=378124&cat=500

Heres a photo
Jimmy812
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 12:59 PM UTC
Hi,

the red and white checkered diamonds are the polish natinal emblems. The T i have no idea, but if i remeber corectly then this T-decal is also included in the T-72 kit from dml and it should be used for an soviet t-72.
One tip the Poles call the bmp-2 bwp-2, maybe helpfull for google searches.
Saar_Star
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 02:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the help Jochen. So what your trying to say is the "T" emblem would'nt be found on a Bmp? I wanted to make a modern russian bmp-2 with insignia but the kit has no Russian federation flags, im being tempted towards using the T-decal just so I can add some more detail
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 08:14 PM UTC
The problem with DML old Soviet/Russian kit decals is they were standard in nearly all their boxes, BMPs, T-72s etc ...
They were quite generic and I don't think DML made any historical research at that time.

BTW I don't have any idea of the meaning of the T in the circle.
Olivier
Jimmy812
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi,
to be honest i don't know if this t was painted on any bmp-2. But I have to contradict Oliver DML made historical researches. Their decal sheets often look a bit carelessly but some of the variants base on real vehicles. For example the soviet naval Brdm-2 and the shilka variants are very good researched. So my conclusion if their ever was an BMP-2 with this white t then dml must have seen it on a photo which was taken some an special event (because it was difficult to take pictures of soviet equiepment in the 80s) like one of these large warsaw pact wargames, and for me this t looks exactly like an temporary marking for an wargame. Anyway if the t was painted on an bmp-2 or not i think it fits at least not an an modern russian bmp-2.

at the t-72 from dml the t was on the ir-searchlight (visible at the box art)
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 04:24 AM UTC
The T in the circle could be something to do with a wargame, as Jochen suggested- the Zapad Exercises in 1981 had a symbol with a border identical to the one with the T. It could perhaps be some sort of tactical symbol. Check these out:

http://www.jedsite.info/editors/jim-webster_files/markings/tacsigns.html

It could also be some sort of Military District making.
Saar_Star
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 05:32 AM UTC
Wow you guys sure know your stuff! Thanks for the help, ill hold off on using that decal and wait till I can track down some Russian Federation flags. Speaking of them, do any of you guys know where I can buy some 1:32 scale RF flag decals? I've tried a few searches before but I havent found any. Or would I be better off hand painting them on?

Thanks again
Alex
Berkut916
Visit this Community
Kaunas, Lithuania
KitMaker: 149 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the other is a stenciled circle with a "T" in the middle. Anyone know what these markings mean?
Thanks

This is a tactical logo. It is difficult to find information.
Some info:
http://army.armor.kiev.ua/hist/opoznav.shtml
http://www.wio.ru/tank/oz/oz.htm
Jimmy812
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi,
Whats about this topshots kagero bmp-2 booklet with the decals sheet it should be in 1/35. An alternative could be the caucasus on fire decla sfrom bison which includes also an bmp-2 with an russian flag emblem.the revell bmp-2 has also an variant included with big russian flags, sometimes left over decals are sold on ebay or you know someone who has it in stock and don't need these decals.
Jimmy812
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 03:49 AM UTC
As an ispiration (espacially after minute 8 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShYQFoh2290
Saar_Star
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 01:29 PM UTC
Thats some great footage! Wish I could have seen that before I finished painting...
 _GOTOTOP