Dragon 1/72 Sherman Firefly VC
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
Armorama: 438 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi,
I just finish my first submission to Armorama. Built OOB with figures from CMK and accesories from Greif Models.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC
Jose,

Welcome to Armorama and especially the Braille Scale Forum. Your Sherman looks very well done, as do the figures. Might I suggest that you sprinkle some ground cover along the edge of the tracks where they meet/touch the ground as they look to be "floating" a bit above the surface.

Hope to see more of your work posted here and thanks for sharing these pictures with the community.

Cheers,
Jan
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 09:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the welcome Jan
Yes, the tank is floating, a new wave of yoga for heavy armour....
Now seriosly, a friend of my who makes armour in the wrong scale (1/35) promise me to came home and teache me to use the woodland scenics grass and stone´s....
I still waiting...
Please make allways all the suggestion that you wish

José Miguel
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 06:30 PM UTC
A very fine build. I like the dynamics of the figures as well.

If I may offer a bit of advice to how to achieve a good "sit" for the tank on the base?

I apply the base material and once it has begun to harden I place the model in the desired position, rocking it gently to push it into the still soft base material. I also add any track marks at the same time using "stamps" made from spare track link.

To protect the model from any still sticky base material I cover the base with gladwrap or clingwrap and press the model down on that. The result is the same with no mess.

When the base has dried fully and the model added to the base, I use left over base material (or mix more) to blend the track edges to the ground, removing any gaps. I then repaint the base where I have added material. The example below, a JS-2 vignette shows the result

The process is pretty quick to complete and really improves the sit and look of the AFV on your finished base.

Hope that helps you.
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I may offer a bit of advice to how to achieve a good "sit" for the tank on the base?

I apply the base material and once it has begun to harden I place the model in the desired position, rocking it gently to push it into the still soft base material. I also add any track marks at the same time using "stamps" made from spare track link.

To protect the model from any still sticky base material I cover the base with gladwrap or clingwrap and press the model down on that. The result is the same with no mess.
Michel,
Thanks a lot.... I will try to modify the base and make a small diorama with grass.
I suposed that this is a JS-2 from Italeri? Is that?
I allways make airplanes but now I was in the Dark side of the Force.....
Again, thanks a lot

José Miguel

When the base has dried fully and the model added to the base, I use left over base material (or mix more) to blend the track edges to the ground, removing any gaps. I then repaint the base where I have added material. The example below, a JS-2 vignette shows the result

The process is pretty quick to complete and really improves the sit and look of the AFV on your finished base.

Hope that helps you.

sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hope that helps you.

Michel,
Thanks a lot.... I will try to modify the base and make a small diorama with grass.
I suposed that this is a JS-2 from Italeri? Is that?
I allways make airplanes but now I was in the Dark side of the Force.....
Again, thanks a lot

José Miguel

Happy to help.

I converted to targets a while back. Still love winged things and buy them often, but armour is here to stay for me.

It is an Italeri JS-2. Nice kit btw.
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 07:32 AM UTC
Cool looking Sherman Jose. Really like how you've done those figures and their poses looked very appropriate. . Welcome to this forum and I can't wait to see more of your work.

Regards,
AJ
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 03:10 PM UTC
Thanks for the welcome AJ.....
I really apreciated your words!!!!!
I´m busy now in the Dragon OOB Campaign...
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 03:12 PM UTC
Jan,
I´m still making a lot of targets too!!!!!!
I have a son of 5 years old and he is very happy for the bad work of the father
I suposed that my next work will be better!!!!!
Thanks again for your words

José Miguel

José Miguel[/quote]

Happy to help.

I converted to targets a while back. Still love winged things and buy them often, but armour is here to stay for me.

It is an Italeri JS-2. Nice kit btw.[/quote]
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 05:17 PM UTC
@SHAKY962 – Jose,

First I’d like to welcome you and hope that your stay here will always be a happy, enjoyable and learning one. You’ve done a great job on the Sherman Firefly, figures and base. I like the roped stowage and open hatches as well as the interaction with the crew giving the scene a since of action. Nice job on the weathering too.

I do have one small suggestion to make here and one you could use on your next build and that is about the track spacing just below the upper hull. I don’t have this kit in the stash as of yet but I imagine that the tracks are of the Dragon DS type? These tracks usually respond well to most modeling glues, I use Testors liquid cement, so by placing a thin shim made from sheet styrene that will fit between the tracks and upper hull you could then apply glue with a paint brush between where the running gear and tracks rest against each other and leave the shim in place until the cement dries, preferably overnight. Any excess in track length could be taken up by placing the rear idler wheel a little further back and up from its normal location but not enough to draw attention. You will probably have to drill out a new axle location for the idler wheels and replace the kits axle with a piece of plastic rod or make one from stretched sprue but the work will be worth the effort.

Thanks for posting and sharing your work here, hoping to see more of your work.
~ Eddy
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 01:56 PM UTC
Eddy,

First of all, thanks for the welcome. Second, please feel to make all the sugestions wich you prefer.
I take note of your advise. I will make this in my second Sherman....
Thanks again

José Miguel
 _GOTOTOP