_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Interior White
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 01:19 AM UTC
What would be a good way to tone down and weather white? I have the Academy Achilles and I don't like the way flat white looks To me it seems too bright
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What would be a good way to tone down and weather white? I have the Academy Achilles and I don't like the way flat white looks To me it seems too bright

Well General Zod, you could use a base color to change the intensity of your Flat White. The Flat White interiors of WW II were a glossy color meant to reflect as much light as possible in the cramped interiors of the AFV's. For scale, like you said, it is a bit intense.

I use Flat Black as a base coat. Others have used Flat Grey with the same success. Flat White becomes your overcoat, and you can vary the amount of coverage you want, and the tone of the final coat by misting light coats and layering the color. When dry, then consider using a mix of black, grey, or brown pastels. Lightly - as you'll surprised how quickly the pastel colors are transferred to a white paint job. You should easily be able to render a tone acceptable to your taste.

Jim
San Jose, California
http://www.guntruck.com
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC
I use heavy weathering with blacks and browns. Even appling a thin coat of light grey. Remember that these were open turrets and exposed to all weather.
I'm courious, did you paint the inside of the turret white? or just the inside of the hull
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 06:13 AM UTC
Also a drop of blue paint (just a drop) will keep white from yellowing over time and helps tone down its starkness.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 08:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the help gents Kencelot on the td's I just paint the hull
 _GOTOTOP