_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FEATURE
Tasca M4A3E8 Sherman
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 08:12 AM UTC
David DaSilva describes his project to replicate a real Battle of the Bulge M4A3E8 Sherman using Tasca's 1/35 scale kit.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC
great vignette, David. The snow and groundwork looks very realistic to me and the figure painting is excellent. Tank is cool too. I like the reproduction of a particular vehicle!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 11:43 AM UTC
David, this is one of my favorite dio's ive seen in a while. Just my taste! Allround fantastic job man. Keep them coming bro!!!

Gary
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 03:54 PM UTC
David, ignoring your dio for a moment I'd like to mention two things that I found very impressive. The first is your build log, it is very well written. The second is your figure, I know you say it looks better in person but really? It's impressive enough the way it looks in your photos! Would you ever consider a tutorial or a build log on painting a 1/35 figure, or even just the face? You really have a finely developed skill set and it shows in the way that everything comes together in your dio here. Thanks for taking the time to put this all together and share you work with us
Peelou75
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 09:30 PM UTC
Outstanding job on these vignette David!
What did you used for the grass? It looks very realistic.

Pops53
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 06:14 AM UTC
An outstanding piece of work all round, not least in the finished effect. This diorama isn't overcrowded with extraneous stuff, as so many are. You've clearly taken the lesson that "less is more" to heart, with a very salutary effect on the finished result.

Along with Jeremy Hengest above, I'd like to thank you for the exceptionally well-written and -illustrated build log. Also, I second Hengest's suggestion that, if you find this task to your liking, you consider authoring a tutorial on painting 1/35th scale figures. Your Sherman's chilly commander with his colorful scarf and his freezing fingers was all too believable, and almost too realistic!
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 09:28 AM UTC
Roman:

Thanks very much for having a look at my Sherman project. I am pleased you found it interesting and worthy of your comments.

All the best.
Dave.

Gary:

Thanks so much for commenting on my project. After seeing your excellent work and following your recent build of the Greif I am indeed very grateful for your comments.

Thanks Buddy.
Dave.

Jeremy:

Wow a very big thanks to you for your comments on the build. They are very much appreciated.

With regards to the build I wanted to be as descriptive as I could in order to share what little I know. I want to share my works with others as other do here so that we can all learn from each other and improve our skill set. In that vein if you believe it would be helpful to our community to do a tutorial on figures I shall do it.

Cheers,
David.

Istvan:

Thank you for viewing the build and taking the time to post your comments.

The material I used is called Wildgras from Heki. Heki is a well known suppiier of model railroad material. The SKU number for this product is 1574.

Cheers,
David.

Fred,

Thank you so much for the very kind comments about my build. I wanted to do a simple vignette that was representative of the photo yet not have the natural environment around it overwhelm the model. I am very pleased you like it and I will keep endeavoring to improve my skills and share my efforts with those that might have an interest.

Best regards,
David.

airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC
Very nice work .

Well done David, the Sherman has captured the scene just right.

Michael
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 11:35 AM UTC
I second the opinion about figures. The tutorial would be of great help!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeremy:

Wow a very big thanks to you for your comments on the build. They are very much appreciated.

With regards to the build I wanted to be as descriptive as I could in order to share what little I know. I want to share my works with others as other do here so that we can all learn from each other and improve our skill set. In that vein if you believe it would be helpful to our community to do a tutorial on figures I shall do it.

Cheers,
David.

My pleasure, it really is an excellent piece of work. Truthfully I think that there is a lot that many of us here could learn from any tutorial that you made, or even an active build log. I am very serious about a figure painting tutorial. It is the Achilles heal to a lot of us regardless of our skill level, especially when it comes to painting convincing faces. Fred, Roman and myself are merely the ones who have openly expressed interest in learning from you.

Whatever you choose to do, please don't stop sharing your work here

Jeremy
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hey Dave!

Congrats on the excellent execution of this E8 Sherman. You definitely captured the feel of the photograph. Your skills of building and finishing are most evident!

Outstanding work!

Best Regards
Eric
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work .

Well done David, the Sherman has captured the scene just right.

Michael

Thanks very much Michael, glad you like the project.

Cheers,
Dave.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
Roman and Jeremy,

I will definitely look into doing a tutorial on figures.

Thanks again for your support.

Dave.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Dave!

Congrats on the excellent execution of this E8 Sherman. You definitely captured the feel of the photograph. Your skills of building and finishing are most evident!

Outstanding work!

Best Regards
Eric

Hey Eric,

thanks for having a look and for all your support through out the build log for this project. It is very much appreciated.

Dave.
 _GOTOTOP