_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Zvezda T-80 with ERA & Detail Sets Complete
Mikeius007
Visit this Community
Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hello everybody!

This is the very latest project I completed! (It's been a long time since the last time I modelled! Oh God where are those old days !). Due to economic difficulties currently I have no opportunity to take up a new project and this T-80 BV I made last summer is the latest one I can post and could possibly be of some interest to you! I would really appreciate any comment on this MBT! Zvezda kits require enormous amount of patience to get a good result and even more "patches" to upgrade this particular model in order to make it look as far realistic as possible!

So...let's get more on topic! I used SP designs wheels and tracks to replace the given ones. Not really impressed by the mold quality. There are several air bubbles all over the surface and even on the tiny bolts on the wheels which spoiled nevertheless the detail. The tracks set was quite good but tricky. The parts need to be carefully assembled in order to make them perfect. Each track consisted mainly of 5 parts! Sadly they are not clickable but anyway they did their job right there! I used several parts from the voyager secondary armament detailing PE sheet for the T-72 MBT in order to get that 12.7 mm gun more detailed! The ERA blocks are also Voyager's and they are of exceptional quality. Right size, good detail! I recommend them for anyone! The only fuzz? They are tricky when it comes to bending! Because it was my fist time with advanced PE modelling I tried multiple times to bend them using different techniques but failed pretty much! I got them bend anyway but not the correct way it should have been done. Also I used the Eduard detailing set for T-80 B/BV MBT's in 1/35. This set goes perfectly with Zvezda models even though it's recommended with Skif ones. Quite easy to bend and glue. Very durable! This set will make the kit outstanding impression in many aspects! And also let's not forget the main 125mm smoothbore monster installed on this kit. I was supplied it by the RB gun barrels depot. Very nice piece of metal! PE easy to use and the gluing is durable! Finally I made some personal adjustments and modifications on the model inspired by 1/1 T-80 BV photos I found over the net here and there..I used different materials such as copper shields to cut and create the rubber part in the fore hull! Plastic cards were cut and adjusted to different parts of the hull and turret. Anyway..won't talk any more because I have the feeling I start getting boring and frustrating!

Some of the photos on the progress I made during the project as well as the final result can be found here:

http://www.modelclub.gr/forums/index.php/topic,19273.msg399592.html#msg399592

This is the Greek community for modellers and the profile is mine! Check it out and post some of your notices! I would really like to discuss this amazing tank! T-80s are unique and I am quite upset they still haven't produced any good model for us! If you have any proposals on how to improve the T-80's in 1/35 generally share with us so the next models were more accurate!!

I could upload some photos of the model as it is in it's current condition on my shelf if you wanted of course! Just notify me and thank you for your attention!

Mike, Greek community modeller 19 years old.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 03:22 AM UTC
updated your url link so it would work.

I am guessing the SP Designs kit parts you used are a bit older. The newest stuff Sergej is pressure casting is MUCH better, but there is a lot of his older stuff out there. I only saw pictures of your suspension with paint, so I cannot tell...did the tracks have the built on guide horns? I know they have made the greatest improvement with the pressure casting...

Very nice build, especially with the PE ERA blocks. I am still working on that myself...
Mikeius007
Visit this Community
Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 10:43 AM UTC
Thank you Jacques! Actually it's the first time I hear about Sergej who makes T-80 parts. It's probably because I can't find any pictures of his models even thought I searched for them.

No, the track horns were included as separate parts with all the rest ones. The pressure casting is quite good except for some parts of the sprue which come with holes on them and are of no use. But generally talking of course, they made their job right there!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 04:43 PM UTC
The link may work, but I don't see any photos???
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes and actually no threads are visible

A caption says:

Αυτό το θέμα δεν υπάρχει στον πίνακα.

"This topic is not on the table"...

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes and actually no threads are visible

A caption says:

Αυτό το θέμα δεν υπάρχει στον πίνακα.

"This topic is not on the table"...

Figured it out Mauro. On the tabs directly above the text block, it states that "Armor/AFV: Under construction".
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Figured it out Mauro. On the tabs directly above the text block, it states that "Armor/AFV: Under construction".

Matt, I've translated the text in English and in Italian. I think that "Under construction" is a rough translation of "work in progress". It seems to me that there are threads, but we are not allowed to see them because we are not forum's members . That's a pity indeed, I was really interested
orpant
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 06:59 PM UTC
I'm also a member of Modelclub.gr.
Today, the forum faces a serious crash, and everybody from the admin team, are on to it...
Just be patient, and it will be up again in a few hours!!!!
Now as far as Mike's T-80, I have seen it in the forum, and I can say, is a rather excellent work!!!
Mike, did a very good job, on those ERA blocks, and seems he has done a very good beginning!!!

Μιχάλη, όταν επανέλθει το φορουμ, μπορείς να ποστάρεις τις φωτογραφίες σου εδώ, απλά πατώντας τροποποίηση του θέματος και κάνοντας copy-paste τον κώδικα.
orpant
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, I've translated the text in English and in Italian. I think that "Under construction" is a rough translation of "work in progress". It seems to me that there are threads, but we are not allowed to see them because we are not forum's members . That's a pity indeed, I was really interested

Mauro, the forum is open to everyone to see.
In fact, you (and everybody else), can register, and post comments and their work!!!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 07:39 PM UTC
Thanks for the explication Orestis
I hope you'll be able to fix the site problems soon
orpant
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

problem fixed!!!!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

problem fixed!!!!

Yes, I can see now. I added the site to my bookmarks. I can't read Greek but i've noticed that there are lots of pics of interesting work

Thanks for sharing
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 05:34 AM UTC
Michail - Sergej of SP Designs only makes masters and does the castings. He does not build or paint the kits as he says it takes away from time he should be doing masters. I, however, try to build as I can. Some quick pics of my work:

T-80U m88 (I think) It is a frankenstien of SP Designs parts that I got from 3 generations of conversions kits (1st generation hollow turret with resculpted mantlet, reworked turret details, etc...) and the newest tracks with molded on guide horns. Of course this is also from about 4 years ago...

I am currently building the T-80UE kit and it is MUCH better with far less need for touch ups.

and...

The same T-80U kit compared to the T-80UD from DML/Zvezda etc....

I hope that helps a bit...

Here is the SAMMODELS webpage I run that shows the kit parts at least...

Otherwise, you really did do a good job with the kit. I hope my PE ERA comes out as nice as yours.
floggerspam
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 09:34 AM UTC
I like the NVST-12.7mm detail.
I hope Zvezda release their own T-80
that would equal their T-90.

Cheers
Mikeius007
Visit this Community
Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hello everybody again!! I am glad that the access problem was fixed by the administrator and hopefully you can take a glimpse on the project!

Jacques, thank you for the post! I pretty much notice the scale difference of the two compared models. Sergej has done some nice work to improve the series!! The link you provide works perfectly and I am examining the models right away! And your build effort is outstanding. There are a lot of things to admire on that model!

Then again thank you for comments!

Best regards
Mike
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 07:25 PM UTC
Great T80 I have always wanted to build one but I know that the current kits require substantial modification.

What we need it for Trumpter to release the T64 and T72 asap
 _GOTOTOP