_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava mk 4 pioneer tools
Shovelhanded63
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 - 01:12 PM UTC
I'm new to the modeling forum,but have built off and on for 40 years,and a little of everything,but armor is my passion! I am finishing the build on a Hobbyboss Merkava mk 4.The kit gives you a shovel,a pry bar?,and what looks like a splitting maul.There is 2 additional mounts for some thing on the rear deck,also on the turret top next to the ammo stowage.For the life of me,I cannot find any references as to what goes on these mounts.I saw one kit in the making on the web,but all that was put there were round rod.Any references or pics of said tools would be greatly appreciated..............Thank you.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
When looking at pictures in Desert Eagle's "Merkava Siman 4" book, I don't see many tools stowed externally. On the left side of the commander's cupola are (moving away from the cupola): two circular racks for smoke grenades, fire extinguisher, 7.62mm ammo rack (3 boxes), 7.62mm ammo rack (1 box), a long tube/handle.

It's very hard to find a picture of the rear deck since the ball and chains hanging from the turret block the view. In the Siman 3 book, you can see a shovel and pry bar stored on the rear deck close to the turret ring.
Shovelhanded63
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 09:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Gary.Since I could'nt identify what were in those brackets,I left them empty,and since finished the kit.29 days,and 1250 parts plus.I will post a few pics soon.Again.....Thank you,Bill
Chevalier_1745
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
'also on the turret top next to the ammo stowage.For the life of me,I cannot find any references as to what goes on these mounts.I saw one kit in the making on the web,but all that was put there were round rod.'

Is the rod about 60mm in diameter? Some Merkavas have a 60mm mortar mounted on the turret.
Shovelhanded63
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 03:55 AM UTC
I don't think it's a mortar,it's in a bracket right next to the .50 cal ammo can and runs from the step down to the end of the turret.looks like some kind of tool
 _GOTOTOP