_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M7 Priest
momcha
Visit this Community
Nis, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 10:44 PM UTC
My latest finish model. M7 Priest from Dragon Models in 1/35. I used Ak Interactive new color modulation set for U.S. vehicles, Ak Interactive weathering set for green vehicles and heavy muddy set. It's excellent and highly recommended for all U.S. armor builders. Stowage set is from various producers, mostly from Legend Production. I hope you like it.

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 11:39 PM UTC
I like it! I haven't seen too many Priests built up, so this is nice.

A couple of things that caught my eye.

1) You can see the inside of the 105mm cannon is still grey. You might want to put some black paint down there.

2) The tracks seem pretty loose. On the Dragon shermans I've built, I've needed to cut 1 link off the DS tracks to make them fit correctly.

3) Some of the stowage looks "glued on", rather than attached to the tank with straps. When there are straps molded into the resin stowage, it's really adds to it if you can use tape of foil to make it appear that the straps actually connect to the tank.

4) I like the paintwork, but you might consider another coat of flat. Some of the tarps and logs seem a bit glossy in the photos.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 01:20 AM UTC
Very cool!

I'll echo Jesse in about everything (OK, I didn't so notice that gray area he mentioned!).

The main vehicle looks super nice and I think you have done a fine job with the coloration.

Of the things which caught me: those logs... take a look at any tree trunk and get to work on those! They are prominent, and you can easily make them pop - logs have wood ends that really differ from the bark, bark is FLAT flat flat - bark has color variation.

EVERYTHING - logs, tent-rolls, tarps, etc. has to be tied or strapped onto the vehicle. Jesse mentioned the tapes and straps - also rope - folks tie stuff on with rope. Easy to do (OK, a little tedious, but really worth the look, IMO!) with thread. (Hint: soak thread in diluted white glue or acryl paint of your choice before putting it on wet - this way you'll get no tiny hairs and fibers sticking out!)

The tracks do look a link or 2 loose... I don't have much experience with these DS tracks, but if you can cut a link out, it will help snug up, I think.

You can make all of your tarps and rolls pop a bit if you wash them with some dark umber or other darker wash tint. The biggest issue is that when you look at the ends, you don't get a feel for deep folds and shadows... get that darkest tint down into those folds! A dark wash on the tent rolls will also cut down the rather bright / light green I see in the photos - I think most of that stuff would be darker and browner, but...

Making sure that the tarps and logs and wood boxes are FLAT will make them contrast in finish and pop around the vehicle. A slightly-satin finish on the vehicle itself may be correct, as these paints were enamels and not always very flat, but that's my opine.

Again, quite cool! I'll also echo "rarely see one of these done" - though that could change with there now being a couple of new DML kits around!

Cheers!

Bob
momcha
Visit this Community
Nis, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 01:17 AM UTC
Thank you for watching and commenting.
I am also aware for that few things that you mention. I have in plan to build diorama, so that is the main reason why tracks are "long". I hope to place it on uneven surface and to get natural look.

I hope that I'll upload pictures of diorama with this one soon.
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 08:01 AM UTC
your build is great,well dun.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts