Hosted by Darren Baker
What happened to the Al Khkid Tank??
topsgtjoe
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi I was hoping that someone can answer this question. What happened to the Hobby Boss Al Khalid Tank? There was a photo posted here of the hand made model posted by Gaoyue with a date of June 14 2010. That was two years ago. Was this kit dropped? Is it still going to be produced? I hope it will be produced, I watched a few videos of it on youtube looked sweet there was even a video from Peru. Love to work on this beast, please Gaoyue give me some good news. Thanks Joe
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 10:50 PM UTC
Hi Joe,
from my personal experiences with guys from Trumpeter and HobbyBoss, I think that such handmasters will only be displayed to test the reaction of the modellers. The problem is, as long as Wehrmacht/WWII is the best selling model range, it`s hard to predict if such "exotic" kits will ever have a market. But I stopped tryin to understand what in the heads of Asian model companies. Still hoping for a HobbyBoss Bergepanzer 3 Büffel.

Hans-Hermann
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still hoping for a HobbyBoss Bergepanzer 3 Büffel.
Hans-Hermann

Yea-yea I want at least one!

Problem with Bueffels, Biebers & Al Khaleds are they just aren't used enough...

Best chance of any modern Bundeswehr is Revell of Germany...
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 07:09 AM UTC
After I got word that the Revell Leopard 2 A6M is a complete new tooling, they hopefully consider to make other versions of the Leopard. Germany Army is about to field the Bergepanzer 3 A1(externally similar with upgraded Canadian vehicle used in Afganistan). Would be cool to have this track in styrene or is it just wishful thinking?
Hans-Hermann
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 08:17 AM UTC
Frankly theres tons of more interesting and important vehicles yet to be tackled before anyone should think about releasing an Al Khalid, as interesting as it may be to some (surely not many). My opinion of course.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 09:17 AM UTC
Oh I don't know Rob it is/was and an interesting British tank being the fore runner to Challenger 1.
topsgtjoe
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi Rob,about two years ago Gaoyue(i believe he works for Hobby Boss) posted a photo of a hand finished version of the Al Khalid tank, someone asked is it Trumpeter he replied no Hobby Boss due to the tracks and wheels. Why would they go to the effort to build it and not produce it? I remember seeing test shots of Trumpeter T-62 and have to wait a couple of years before it was released. What also happened to the USMC MTVR ????? How do these companies decide what and when to release something?? Also waiting for a T-80-maybe Kenetic,Panda,or Rich will tackle this tank.? Cheers joe
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rob,about two years ago Gaoyue(i believe he works for Hobby Boss) posted a photo of a hand finished version of the Al Khalid tank, someone asked is it Trumpeter he replied no Hobby Boss due to the tracks and wheels. Why would they go to the effort to build it and not produce it? I remember seeing test shots of Trumpeter T-62 and have to wait a couple of years before it was released. What also happened to the USMC MTVR ????? How do these companies decide what and when to release something?? Also waiting for a T-80-maybe Kenetic,Panda,or Rich will tackle this tank.? Cheers joe

Producing new molds means for the companies to make quite high investment so they tend to produce some subjects only when they are sure that they can earn as much as possible from them. If another company is selling another interesting product while you're ready to release yours, it's more convenient to wait. Otherwise you could risk that your potential customers buy only one product between yours and the other one and you won't maximize your profits.

Regarding the announcements about new products, they often are only advertisement. A way to keep the customers interest level high and a way to create an expectation in new releases.

That wouldn't be the first kit which had been announced but eventually it wasn't done

Just my opinion anyway
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh I don't know Rob it is/was and an interesting British tank being the fore runner to Challenger 1.

This isn't that tank. The Al Khalid is a Pakistani/Chinese tank based on the ZTZ-99.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This isn't that tank. The Al Khalid is a Pakistani/Chinese tank based on the ZTZ-99.

The Chieftain Mk5(P)- FV4030/1, FV4030/2 Shir (Lion)1 and 4030/3 Shir 2 were the pre-challenger was a prototype based in part on the Chieftan, & the Intended client was the Shah of Iran.
when the project didn't go through, it was redesigned to become the Challenger 1
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 09:15 PM UTC
AKA Khalid (without the Al?) which is where the confusion came from I suspect.
Tank Museum Khalid
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 09:37 PM UTC
Spot on Ken I should have looked further into the initial post. I was thinking it may have lead to a seies of Chieftain tanks, Oh well nevermind.
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joe,
from my personal experiences with guys from Trumpeter and HobbyBoss, I think that such handmasters will only be displayed to test the reaction of the modellers. The problem is, as long as Wehrmacht/WWII is the best selling model range, it`s hard to predict if such "exotic" kits will ever have a market. But I stopped tryin to understand what in the heads of Asian model companies. Still hoping for a HobbyBoss Bergepanzer 3 Büffel.

Hans-Hermann

This is a bit unfair to trumpeter and hobbyboss I feel, both have produced a huge number of 'exotic' kits that no-one else has either kitted for decades or kitted at all

Whilst others have ploughed the WWII german furrow singlemindedly for decades now, Trumpeter have in that time demonstrated an admirable commitment to post-WW2 subjects. who else would have given us decent modern tools of the BMPs, T62, BTR 60, M198, ASU-98, BTRs, Strykers, centauros, challenger 2, LAVs, AVGP and more

any hobbyboss have done the Dana, Leopards, PLA Snow Leopard, WMIKs, Merkava EBR, CV90, HET, ZSD 89, Boxer (albeit a pre-production one), ZTZ 96 and more

Both are more than doing their bit for modern subjects in my opinion, and have been since long before the likes of Bronco. They can't be expected to do it all
 _GOTOTOP