British Millitar Police Land Rover 110 Defend
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 - 12:55 AM UTC
Hi all,

This is the start of my entry for the Land Rover campaign. I started yesterday and managed to get a liitle done. My plan is to build my Hobbyboss Land Rover 110 Defender Hardtop as a Royal Millitary Police Vehicle. I have over the years lived quite close to the Royal School of Military Engineering in Brompton England and I have seen quite a few parked up by the front gate or along side the fences. I am using the kit almost OOB but with a few aditional Accurate Armpour bits and some Bison Decals.

Accurate Armour : Blue Beacons & TUAAM Boxes

Bison : Landrovers in the Balkans
Plus a set of other decals I got off ebay
Details to follow.

I plan to paint it straight Nato Green with no camo pattern as this seems to be a safe option based on the pictures I have seen.

A few pics to start us off!

So there you go enjoy.

Paul
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 - 02:38 AM UTC
Good luck with the build paul,will be watching how the decals come out.im right in the middle of building mine is ok to post a pic here when shes finished?
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
sure If youb want to post a pic feel free
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 - 03:01 AM UTC

A few more pics of todays work

Paul
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 - 03:20 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing this build. Up to yet i have built a 110 Hardtop RMP vehicle serving in Kosovo,a 110 hardtop with bowman ariels,a 110 soft top minus the canvas serving with the Black watch in Iraq. Then ive built 4 WMIKs the latest being the accurate armour EWMIK set with twin GPMG,s.
My next hard top will be the red wing Royal Engineers EOD vehicle. Keep them Rovers coming i say
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 03:17 AM UTC
Today so far, engine 90% complete just needs painting ( sorry the pics are rubbish!)

And I have finished the chasis stage 1!! However I did make a huge error and I clamped it too hard and the central brace bent!! ( within red circle) I think I got too it just in time and managed to bend it back! The chasis looks straight enough so I am happy enough, just wish I realised sooner.

Well thats all for now but I should get some more done tonight!!

Paul

P.s Anybody know how I can correct the misspelling on my forum entry title?? LOL
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 10:53 PM UTC
Just a few pics of the work done last night and another item from today's post.

Chasis parts added last night, I have to say I love this kit, it goes together with so little bother, even the instructions seem to be correct so far. Good on HobbyBoss!

With the castoff wheelset dry fitted looks OK so far, They are going to need a little clean up but they should be ok.

Some decals I found on Ebay for the defender, sadly come with no placement instructions so I will have to guess!

More later!

Paul
spoons
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hi ya paul, i didnt bother doing instructions as i was planning on posting a pic of my model built with them on,but know ive found a pic for you.The hows my driving sticker goes on rear door about 4mm down from bottom of window.
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi ya paul, i didnt bother doing instructions as i was planning on posting a pic of my model built with them on,but know ive found a pic for you.The hows my driving sticker goes on rear door about 4mm down from bottom of window.

Cool cheers,

I had seen some pics on the hows my driving sign!

But thanks n none the less.

Paul
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 08:17 AM UTC
your build is looking good ,cant wiat to it finished.
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

your build is looking good ,cant wait to see it finished.

Hi Roy,

thanks me to, although it's a great kit I really want to get onto the bits that aren't in the kit if you know what I mean.

Paul
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 10:35 PM UTC
So I've not had a lot of time this weekend to do much more due to other commitments ( and the fact my other half has kidnapped the camera!) I have begun work on the rear of the land rover and I have nearly finished up to fitting the frameand roof. I have decided to leave fitting the seats front and back ( along with the front bulkhead) until I have given the rear a basecoat of Nato Green. I am probaly going to paint the chasis today at some point and I really should make a start on washing the resin AM parts for the wheels and the TUAAM boxes etc. I did have a small issue as I lost the tow hitch, but I have made some alterations to a spare jeep one I had and I think it looks close enough with a little messing around!

More tommorrow once I can steal the camera back!!

Paul
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 10:46 PM UTC
Just another thought, The chasis colour. Now I know it doesn't matter much due toi mud and dirt splattering but what colour would it have been out of the workshop so to speak?

I think personally either flat black like the engine or if not Nato Green as the body?

Anyone else any thoughts??

Paul
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just another thought, The chasis colour. Now I know it doesn't matter much due toi mud and dirt splattering but what colour would it have been out of the workshop so to speak?

I think personally either flat black like the engine or if not Nato Green as the body?

Paul

I would go with a semi gloss black on the chassis of the wolf thay are usually black. Nice work on the build it is good to see some variation on the wolf 110's.
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hi Paul i would go for semi gloss black for the chassis and axles. On the rear axle the dif cover is painted white.
The decals you have bought are for the Bowman radio system and would not be fitted to the front wings with the TUM ariel boxes. The decals worn folks not to stand to close to the ariels due to invisable waves sent out by the ariels. this was not the case for the TUM boxes as i belive they were for the Clansman radio system. I have seen though a Comms rover withe TUM boxes on the front wings and Bowman ariels on the side of the vehicle,the warning decals were then put on the side only of the vehicle.
The Army Driver decal would be on the rear door and would be under the Military Police decal which would be under the rear window.
Hope this info helps you and below some of my ref pics that may help you out

hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul

I would go with a semi gloss black on the chassis of the wolf thay are usually black. Nice work on the build it is good to see some variation on the wolf 110's.

Yup, that was kinda what I was thinking.

Paul

Quoted Text

Hi Paul i would go for semi gloss black for the chassis and axles. On the rear axle the dif cover is painted white.
The decals you have bought are for the Bowman radio system and would not be fitted to the front wings with the TUM ariel boxes. The decals worn folks not to stand to close to the ariels due to invisable waves sent out by the ariels. this was not the case for the TUM boxes as i belive they were for the Clansman radio system. I have seen though a Comms rover withe TUM boxes on the front wings and Bowman ariels on the side of the vehicle,the warning decals were then put on the side only of the vehicle.
The Army Driver decal would be on the rear door and would be under the Military Police decal which would be under the rear window.
Hope this info helps you and below some of my ref pics that may help you out

I think that definintivly anwers all my questions so far, LOL

Thanks a lot for the help though guys, it's about time that these manufaturers give you all the details and not just hope enveryone can guess!

To be honest I was not sure about the decals for the ariels anyway. I mainly bought the set for the how's my driving one!so I guess I'll just put them aside for the next Landy after this one which I am now leaning towards a 110 soft top 'Bomb disposal'? maybe I'm not sure yet. But with bowman ariels.

Paul
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi all,

So as promised new pics!!!!

the mainly finished chasis and other assorted gubins

That pesky missing hich replacement, sorry for the rubbish pics I really need a better camera!

I don't think it looks that bad for a replacement and as its so small I doubt it will be that noticable, the next lab=ndy I will take far more care!

Cheers,

Paul

hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 10:54 PM UTC
The chasis is now awaiting a second coat of paint and all the resin is having a good soak, so I might be able to start on cleaning that tommorrow. I shall do some more work to the rear end today and maybe some more pics later before I loose the camera again!

Paul
barny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 01:30 AM UTC
Its coming together well Paul nic e work mate
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 02:11 AM UTC
Well would'nt you know it, there I was working away getting the side pieces off the trees and low and behold there was the damn hitch in the bottom of the plastic bag looking innocent!!

So thats that problem solved!

A little more work today and a few more pics.

with the offending hitch replaced with the correct one fitted.

The side holes drilled and the rear sides and tailgate area attached. Although I have drilled a hole in the wrong place, so I will need to patch that LOL!

Inside the rear, with the small trays removed as per instructions ( which is a shame I liked them!!

With the chassis dry fitted and undercoated.

View from above. It's starting to get there. The picture frame below the kit will be it's eventual home. A piece of tarmac at the front of a British Army Base somewhere in England around 2004ish. I have thought to have it parked within a pre-marked out area alongside a large concrete or brick planter filled with shrubs and flowers maybe, what do you guys think?

Paul
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 02:05 AM UTC
Well no pics today guys (no cam!) still all the resin parts have been washed and no real problems there to speak of, except the castoff wheels. they all seem to have bubbles in the tread, still it only seems confined to one place on each. The spare wheel seems fine though! As I think they will be seen I am going to try to use them.

I have finished the wings so all is more or less ready ish for painting, just the seats to construct. Not sure what I am going to do with the doors all seem to have lots of ejector pin marks in hard ish to reach areas. I might just try puting in some really thin plasticard and cover it ( it will be a lot of work to fill or file it down).

The only other thing I have found to be much of a problem now is the cage in the rear. Not a nice piece to assemble, just butts to itself down the middle, not a major problem but I feel Hobbyboss could have designed the part for easier fitting.

Oh well, More tommorrow!

Paul

bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 12:53 PM UTC
Pual,the kit is very cool,glade you got tha hitce sortedout
i have the ploblems with the carpet monster but i soon find the parts
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pual,the kit is very cool,glade you got tha hitce sortedout
i have the ploblems with the carpet monster but i soon find the parts

LOL the carpet monster is the least of my problems I have a 6 month old kitten who's only happy when he is helping me out!!

Paul

hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi all,

The items contructed yesterday!

Parts added to rear, the front wings, wheel arches added. the rear frame started, this will be added once the rear section has had it's initial coat of nato green.

The rails added to the inside of the rear cargo/personel area.

The rear frame assembly. As you can see they just butt together, meaning the only thing keeping them stable at this point is the glue! In my oppinion I would have cast a lip on both sides, two opposite right angles so to provide a little more strength.

These are the whels I purchased from Castoff. I thought they looked ok until I washed them and the the contrast meant that I was able to spot all the casting bubbles in the tread pattern (ringed in red). They seem to be only located on one place on each wheel so this will become the area that contacts the base! The spare (far left) seems to be fine though!

Closeup of the casting bubbles.

Last pic for now, My little helper!! More later!

Paul
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hi all,

Just a brief update for today. Started on the bonnet, preped the spade etc, but managed to loose one of the lugs that attach to the area around the central hub. I will replace it with a bit of rod from my collection should look good enough. Finished the seats, all now ready for painting once I give the rear end it's basecoat.

I am going to start the rest of the basecoat saturday morning as I will be busy until then. I would have started it today but I remembered that there was an area that I missdrilled on the rear, so I filled it! Just going to wait for that to dry until tommorrow before I file it smooth.

Thats all till the weekend guys.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP