_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
When disaster strikes
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 01:26 PM UTC
About 5 years ago, I had just finished a 48 scale Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair, when a kid I came in and grabbed it and was flying it around the room !!!!! I couldn't do anything but stand there and scream......3 months of hard work down the drain in a matter of seconds....
desert_fox
Visit this Community
Estonia
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 04:07 PM UTC
once, when i was on one of my busines trip, my wife decided to clean up the shelves where i keep some of the models. she placed all the models to some temporary place and started to move the dust from shelve. unfortunately my cat also thought that this is perfect place for her too and made on big tiger jump. she landed in middle of the models, kicking some of them on to the floor.among them my 99% ready aston martin db 5 to which paint work i placed big effort. needles to say that db5 was the model which got most of the destruction.
the other "good" story is with one tiny detail from panzer 1. i managed to tropp on to carpet 5 times and each time i was lucky to recover it. yeh, yor right, i tropped it once again and this time it was lost. this was very disturbing
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 10:09 PM UTC
u are not alone!
I finished Revells Panzer III, with PE parts and it was time for airbrushing.
I sticked my fingers into the hulls turrethole and started painting the underside and I don't know why, I let the piece fall ...
all 4 mudguards fell off including some other parts I never found...
Desaster!
regards, werner
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 10:21 PM UTC
I've had numerous model disasters over the years, but most memorable is still the first. I was eight, and my best friend had given me Revell's 1/72 SR-71 for my birthday. Glossy black plastic, before Mom let me buy paints, and only a little glue on the canopy, it was my pride and joy--the first model I built all by myself. It lived proudly atop my dresser for weeks, until one fateful Friday.

Mother cleaned house on Friday. And Mother was in a hurry that day, and dusted my Blackbird right off onto the floor where it promptly shattered. I was in a nearby room, and heard the crash. I came running, only to find Mother standing over the wreckage with a concerned look on her face. I went ballistic and in my best 8-year-old tantrum mode gave her an earful. Possibly this was the wrong reaction, as Mother's conciliatory mood evaporated and she rapidly gained the upper hand in the matter. Soon it was decided that to prevent this from EVER happening I would henceforth dust and vacuum my own room. And so I did, happily to prevent further atrocities. Well, except for the depredations of my Basset Hound but that's another story. And to this day my wife appreciates my astounding competence with a vacuum cleaner. Ya know, sometimes...in my darker moments...I wonder....

Did Mom dust it off on purpose just to achieve the objective of having me clean my own room?

Greg
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've had numerous model disasters over the years, but most memorable is still the first. I was eight, and my best friend had given me Revell's 1/72 SR-71 for my birthday. Glossy black plastic, before Mom let me buy paints, and only a little glue on the canopy, it was my pride and joy--the first model I built all by myself. It lived proudly atop my dresser for weeks, until one fateful Friday.

Mother cleaned house on Friday. And Mother was in a hurry that day, and dusted my Blackbird right off onto the floor where it promptly shattered. I was in a nearby room, and heard the crash. I came running, only to find Mother standing over the wreckage with a concerned look on her face. I went ballistic and in my best 8-year-old tantrum mode gave her an earful. Possibly this was the wrong reaction, as Mother's conciliatory mood evaporated and she rapidly gained the upper hand in the matter. Soon it was decided that to prevent this from EVER happening I would henceforth dust and vacuum my own room. And so I did, happily to prevent further atrocities. Well, except for the depredations of my Basset Hound but that's another story. And to this day my wife appreciates my astounding competence with a vacuum cleaner. Ya know, sometimes...in my darker moments...I wonder....

Did Mom dust it off on purpose just to achieve the objective of having me clean my own room?

Greg

My model display area and working area is my sacred ground, and is off limit to any female that comes in my apartment. the "Look and no Touch" rule strictly applied there. #:-)
swampfox
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 09:32 AM UTC
I think the one my wife likes to bring up the most was when I was working on Accurate Armor's Swedish "S" Tank. I was holding the tank in my hand, trying to align and keep in place the resin track prior to gluing. I reached for the Thick Superglue to add a drop to hold it in place and instead grabbed the Super Thin Superglue and ended up gluing the Tank to my hand. Needless to say, not only was it painful to have the glue burn my hand when I sprayed it with the accelerator, but removing it even with the Superglue debonder didn't feel great either. My hand was bandaged for a week
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
I am building the DML/VM Valentine MK. III (kit #9024). I built the kit OOB, but it looked very nice and was really happy on how it turned out. I decided on the 1st Army Tank Brigade markings, the one shown on the box top, overall RLM Sandy Brown with the light blue, disruptive, hard edged stripe. I was surprised on how nice it turned out after painting and I couldn't wait to finish it and enter it in my local hobby shops modeling contest. I put on a light coat of Future, let it dry and applied the decals. I used Solvaset to get them to snuggle down onto the bolts and other detail on the tank. I then applied a coat of Tamiya flat clear, with a little light tan added to it to lighten and blend the finish. Some sort of bizzare reaction occured. My tank turned WHITE! Nothing I could do, including soaking it a diluted solution of ammonia could get rid of the white. Actually, if I was doing a vehicle that served during a winter campaign, I would of left it, because it looked like a rather slap-dash white-wash paint job. But I was pretty sure that a vehicle that served at Tobruk would probably never have been painted white.

While I was at AIT in San Antonio, TX, my wife was cleaning our room. I had put all my models and other stuff in the top of our closet. She decided to clean out the closet, of course. She got up on her tippy-toes and began to pull down boxes. Being shorter than I, she was unable to see the completed DML Firefly on top of the box. It was my favorite kit. When she pulled the box down, it tipped, of course, and the Firefly fell, of course, hitting right on top of the head. It then continued down to the hard, hard floor. It exploded, of course, flinging individual track links and end connectors everywhere. It was a total loss. When she told me this on the phone that night, I told her to just throw it away. I couldn't bear to see it destroyed.

91B

PS... it's nice to see that i'm not the only person in the world to suffer 2nd degree burns from CA glue accelerator ;-)
 _GOTOTOP