_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
DML ~ SS-1c 'Scud B' w/Maz-543 TEL
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 12:28 PM UTC
Has anyone built this?

I have the kit and was wondering if putting an engine w/trans and other related items is worth it? Can they be displayed by opened hatches?

I cannot make out too much just by the instructions (heck, they don't even have decal placement) so I need to know what engine I should look out for? I know Verlinden makes a T-55 set up and some of the Trumpeter tracked vehicles have them but have not looked into just how detailed they are so I am asking for some help or suggestions before I start cementing styrene!

Thanks for any help!

~ Jeff
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 12:39 PM UTC
The kit is from 1992 and to my knowledge, no one has ever released an engine for it. But yes, I built it, it's a difficult build made harder because the main framework was warped (this may have been fixed since) and because the wheel assemblies don't fit properly because the locating holes are too small and I believe too far apart. But it was a fun, challenging kit for someone who was getting back into the hobby.

There are 2 sets of Eduard PE for this and you need them, they may be out of production now
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 01:16 PM UTC
Thanks for your reply!

So can you safely say that even if there were an engine it then cannot be displayed after it's built?

I just want to know BEFORE starting the kit.

~ Jeff
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 02:47 AM UTC
You could put an engine in , as for access looking from the front the left cab tilted forward to access the engine I have some pictures if interested pm me and Ill dig them up. I have built the kit some time ago and if you want a drive train you could scratch build it, as for the kit look for a couple of builds here for the wireing of the scud and also I recomend am pe for detail.
Jim
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 11:33 AM UTC
the PE sets are currently available, I would check spruebrothers or scale hobbyist

Jeff
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 11:53 AM UTC
here ya go..found the PE sets!! Mine arrived in a few days time.

http://www.megahobby.com/search.aspx?find=scud

Jeff
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 12:51 PM UTC
THANKS!!

~ Jeff
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 02:15 AM UTC
I built it when I was 12 and found it slightly tricky, but nothing impossible.
Have fun!
Euan
mokush
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 05:40 PM UTC
Hi!
I built this kit last year (wtih Eduard interior PE)... it took 6-7 months.
You'll need:
- patience
- time
- relax bath
- putty... a lot of putty
Have fun!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi!
You'll need:
- patience
- time
- relax bath
Have fun!

On a side note, never ever ever mention the relaxing bath. You are a man. Instead say that you had to rescue some vital piece that happened to land in an sink to the bottom of a very deep bath your significant other was drawing. While attempting to retrieve aforementioned illusive part, you slipped and fell into said bath.

I hope you do a blog on this one.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi!
You'll need:
- patience
- time
- relax bath
Have fun!

I've read that on a few reviews as there are plenty of seams to fill. Looks like I need to get some fresh CA for this for I HATE putty work. The size of this kit is what lured me to it, that and the massive tires for which I just found there are AM pieces for this but before I go there they need to be the "sagged" version or I'll just stick with the styrene parts.

Also, I understand there was a 'newer' version of this kit so maybe what everyone is down on was the old kit? Also, there's no chart for decal placement so I have been looking for reference pics AND other builds for that solution.

~ Jeff
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 10:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I built it when I was 12 and found it slightly tricky, but nothing impossible.
Have fun!
Euan

a lot of part are tricky ansd very fragile and the chassis has not detail to it no drive shafts no differentals s no nothing to the wheels
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 11:07 PM UTC
Some of the problems with the 4 i have built so far is when you mount the suspension units to the chassis frame the location pins are not the best and you have to keep an eye on them so they don't dry cock eyed .
Another is getting the main sub units onto the chassis which always seems a little to tight when mounting them to the chassis.
Another is getting the missile mounted and its support frame to move smoothly ..oh these are fun to built

Phill
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 11:29 PM UTC
GOOD!!! I like a challenge!!!

And on the sagged tires, I think manufacturers need to vary the amount of sag on each location of the tire for there is a weight distribution issue as they do have a "heavy" difference on each axle.

~ Jeff
jetboy
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 11:32 PM UTC
hi,ive just finished this,model with no pe,quite enjoyed it ,made up my own paint colour though,and decals,just placed where i thought,really liked the build though.the photos are on the arc site,dont know how to post pics on here yet,you might think just as well lol don
saransk
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 05:01 AM UTC
The kit shows it's age. Basically the kit is like a "curbside" car model - get's the look OK but not much underskin detail. There is little suspension detail. You can get much of that off a Trumpeter MAZ kit, but the MAZ's have spring rear axles, the SCUD tel had torsion bars all around. You'll have to do some scratch building to get it even close. A couple of companies make resin wheels/tires for it. The interior Eduard set is an absolute necessity. Also, the Concord and Osprey books on the SCUD will give you the needed pictures for the mass of wires and cables around the missle and launcher. I seem to recall there was an engine set for the Trumpeter but I have no idea where I saw that. There are some great photos of bare chassis, just Google MAZ and the various versions.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 05:17 AM UTC
Here's a somewhat more peaceful use for the MAZ-543: Dump the Scud Missile and convert the vehicle into an Airport Crash Tender/Foam Truck.

Mine is well on its way. See photos here:

http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t461/165thspc/Russian%20MAZ-543-AA60%20Airport%20Fire%20Truck/
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 08:23 AM UTC
I wish the thing was in 1/16th scale BUT, I may have to scratch build one as much as I love the vehicle.

If I do that it must loose the rocket and come up with something else.

~ Jeff
 _GOTOTOP