_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Starter
VinnieT
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hello all, I am a beginner with armor modeling and I was looking at getting a 1/72 scale tank. Could anyone give me a short list of materials and tools i will need to complete the kit? Thank you!
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi there Vincent, welcome to Armorama.

I can give a basic list of items you will need to get you started.

I would recommend:

An X-Acto type hobby knife (I don't like scalpels)
Some type of sprue cutter
Tweezers
Fingernail clippers
Scissors
Different grades of fingernail files, or hobby sand paper for sanding
Rubberbands of different sizes and some small clamps
Pliers (for opening stuck paint bottle lids)
I personally like Testor's brand of model glue
CA or superglue (for resin pieces or photoetch brass)
Epoxy glue (for resin pieces or for those stubborn pieces that won't stay put)
And the obvious - different sizes of paint brushes and some paint thinner and the color of paint(s) recommended to finish the kit.
And an airbrush if you desire one

A lot of these items can be found at a dollar type of store if you have one in your area and it will help to keep the cost down

Over the years you will eventually figure out what you need and don't need and you can stock you tool box accordingly. I use Squadron Hobby Shop for a lot of my materials and kits. They have always been very honest to deal with. Here is their link.

Squadron

I hope that this helps you out.

Randy
VinnieT
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 09:52 AM UTC
Thank you for the list, I will make sure I get those tools. Also, Can anyone tell me what kinds of paints and paint supplies i will need to paint a model? (Thinner, oil, acrylic) and what are some good brands?
wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 06:21 PM UTC
Vallejo paints
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 02:30 PM UTC
If you plan to airbrush your armor, I highly suggest Tamiya Acrylics. They are super easy to thin and use in an AB, whereas Vallejo is just temperamental. Vallejo is amazing for hand painting, though.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, Can anyone tell me what kinds of paints and paint supplies i will need to paint a model? (Thinner, oil, acrylic) and what are some good brands?

I have a little of everything in my paint rack that I use. I have Testors - 1/4 ounce size, Testors Model Master, Tamiya, Vallejo, Humbrol and a few odd brands from here and there. They all have their good and bad. Model Master and Tamiya are the main two I use. I also like to use Tamiya thinner, no real reason why, thinner is thinner, but I like it. I also use Testors dull-cote and gloss-cote. I also like Solvaset decal setting solution. You might want to also consider picking up some pastels (chalk). You can order them through a hobby source or just go to a store like WalMart or something and pick up an earth tone set. They work really good for weathering.

Hope that helps some.
Randy
 _GOTOTOP