Help with containers and Pallets
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 02:27 AM UTC
Hello people...

I spent days at all web searching after 1/35 Scale containers and Pallets.
I found Mig Productions 1/35 Pallets, but it's comes just with two of them and costs high price for 2 Pieces. Still, I need several pieces...
Also I found rezine kit in 1/35 scale from Accurate Armor ISO 20 Foot Container, also in high price

So I thought I might try and build myself...
If someone already tried made scratch model of containers and Pallets ???
Or if someone can help me with blueprints ???

thanks and waiting for your answers
Best wishes

Richard
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi Richard

You can add Miniman Factory resin 20 ft container to the list :

If you decide to scratchbuild your own (styrene sheet is cheaper than resin ), I guess some drawings should be useful :

http://www.containerhome.info/resourcem/shipping-container-homes-technical-drawings-20GP.pdf

Some pallets specs on Wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet

and here :

http://www.palletcentral.com/files/GuidetoUnderstandingthePDSSpecificationandAnalysis.pdf

HTH

Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC
For the Connex container, the above are about it. There was also a 1/32 connex by Esci that can still be found on eBay from time to time. It works fine with 1/35 trucks, armor, etc.

Here is one I used with an M932A2 5-ton tractor.

Pallets are pretty easy to make using sheet styrene or bass wood using 0.040 for the vertical supports and 0.020 for the horizontal planks. A "standard" (used loosely) US pallet is 40" x 48".

There are also a few others available in resin, wood, and plastic. For resin, there is also Plus Model (pallet jack and a couple pallets). BNA Wood Models does some in wood. In 1/32, there are a bunch that go with farm equipment sets. Also, Fujimi and Aoshima do a line of 1/32 fork lifts, pallet trucks, and excavators that have pallets and a couple accessory sets to go with them that have pallets included.

Good luck.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 03:32 AM UTC
Well, having had a number of them delivered to my door with home reno supplies over the last little while, I can attest that there is no one configuration for pallets. THey are approximately 1m square and the ones here in North America are generally built with 2x4 (actual dimensions 1.5" x 3.5") structural members (usually 3 or 4) with 3/4" x 4" boards laid transversly across them with spacing in between. the spacing for teh fork lift opnnings on the bottom also varies, but seems to be about 2.5' on centre with slots in the 2x4s about 8" long.

I'm sure there is a NATO or ISO standard pallet that you could probably look up on the net.

If you want a bunch of them, I'd suggest making a jig to both cut and place the boards so that they all come out the same. That really enhances the look. I'd also sugest making them out of bass wood and not styrene or balsa. It scales out much nicer in 1/35 and can be carved more cleanly than balsa. You also don't have to fake the wood grain.

HTH

Paul
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can attest that there is no one configuration for pallets.

So can I

Frenchy
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi Richard,

I build several 1200x800 EURO Paletts a while ago. It`s easy to do with Evergreen or Plastruct profiles. I work with EURO Paletts each day and can take some measurements for you torrow.
Do you need detailed pics, too?

Greetz
Hans-Hermann
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Richard,

I build several 1200x800 EURO Paletts a while ago. It`s easy to do with Evergreen or Plastruct profiles. I work with EURO Paletts each day and can take some measurements for you torrow.
Do you need detailed pics, too?

Greetz
Hans-Hermann

if you can help with pics I'll be very happy.... Thanks
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks Thanks Thanks to all dear Friends for such useful info...
be happy to more
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Richard

You can add Miniman Factory resin 20 ft container to the list :

If you decide to scratchbuild your own (styrene sheet is cheaper than resin ), I guess some drawings should be useful :

http://www.containerhome.info/resourcem/shipping-container-homes-technical-drawings-20GP.pdf

Some pallets specs on Wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet

and here :

http://www.palletcentral.com/files/GuidetoUnderstandingthePDSSpecificationandAnalysis.pdf

HTH

Frenchy

Dear Frenchy Thank you for such great information it's will help me out 100%
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
Plusmodel has a 1/35 pallet in resin for $4.40; HobbyLink Japan has a picture of it here, but you should be able to find it from other retailers, and they also have a pair of pallets with a pallet jack, listed here for 11.85 Euros.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Richard,

The EURO pallet is 1200mm by 800mm, means 34.4 mm by 22.8 mm. I remember using 3.2 mm and 4 mm strips, each .5 mm for the planks. May I ask for what purpose do you need the Containers and Pallets? I my company we use surplus ammo boxes for internal transport. Anyone interested, I can provide detailed
measurements.

Hans-Hermann
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 08:22 AM UTC
I need them for my next project, I'm going to use two USN M1078 LMTV Truck by Trumpeter in 1/35 scale.
I'd like to fill one rear trunk with container, and another one with some Pallets full of water boxes and ammonition...

what do you think?
it will be a good idea container on M1078 LMTV Truck? it can be in reality? have some one see any picture of this?

thanks for your helping me guys
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 08:44 AM UTC
Richard

A 20 ft container would be too long to be carried by a M1078. A military shelter like the S-280 would be a better option :

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/193108&page=1

If you prefer to stick to your original idea, you could consider a BICON container :

Specs :

http://www.seabox.com/catdl/sb1/sb8410/SB8410%20TYPE%201.pdf

a TRICON one :

Specs :

http://www.seabox.com/catdl/sb1/SB8210/SB821.0.pdf

..or even a QUADCON one :

Specs :

http://www.seabox.com/catdl/sb1/SB812/SB812.pdf

All are compatible with the FMTV.

Frenchy
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
Frenchy,

as you say container seems really to be a much longer then M1078, maybe I will use it next time on OSHKOSH. must be a good isn't it?

whatever Thank you for your good idea to put shelter on M1078.
it's looks a cool idea for me

Also it's looks to be much easy to build one scratch...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
I agree with Frenchy. Normally, 20' containers are carried by either an PLS or HEMTT (normal or LHS), which are based on the much larger, 10 ton HEMTT truck.

PLS w/ container

HEMTT w/ container

M1078 w/S280 Shelter

Italeri has the S-280 Shelter as part of their M925 Shelter Truck kit...

or as a separate kit...
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Hi Richard,

I did my own pallets for this dio.Used Balsa wood.2 lengths of it it,1 flat and 1 squared and your set for about 20 pallets.All for 2 or 3 dollars.

Tom

Photobucket [img]Photobucket [img]Photobucket
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hey Richard, as an extrucker here in the U.S., most companies use a 4 way type pallet to use as much space allowable in a trailer. But there are no set standards for trucking with pallets. I had a company that made thier own for scales and came in all sizes. Wood and plastic are the most seen here. A 4 way pallet can be P/U by a lift truck from any side and are prefered as they messure 40" X 48". They have a inverted U shaped access on the side for the forks of the lift truck. The runners are hard wood and the slates, top and bottom are usually poplar. If you make them youself, check out any at a warehouse or store around you. Note that the bottom slates are not the same as the top as far as spacing. You need to be able to get a pallet jack under it and lift it without the pallet jacks wheels being stopped by slates on the bottom. Most are natural wood color but some companies brand or paint them for identification so they stay within the company, as they cost about 13 bucks each, and is a major cost in shipping. As far as container go, they are usually a 20 fotter (pup) or a 40 foter conex. Many are painted but some are just primed dark red/brown. Also many have patchs on them from shipping and fork lift damage. All will have specs on the doors for the size and weight allowed plus company logos on all four sides plus a 6 digit I.D. number front and back. Almost all will have a wood floor too. All you need to do is check out a shipping company for the small details as to 2 or 4 door locks types and such. If you have access to plastruct, you can find a suitable material for the building of one, pretty staight forward. Hope it helps some. bob d.
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 07:23 AM UTC
Many thanks to all dear friends for really useful help...

you really helped me out, soon I'll open new topic with my project

bye
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hello friends,
Today I tried to make pallets by my self, yesterday I bought some wooden profiles and page.
with your help (blueprints and pictures)Built a few samples:

Work on the unit took me around 5 minutes.
I wonder what you think:?
Thank you

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC
In the UK a 4 way pallet is usually 48 x 40
parrot