_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
The Story of Matchbox Kits
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 09:41 AM UTC
Jan Etal shares a look through the pages of The Story of Matchbox Kits, 1973-2000 published by Histoire & Collections, authored by Jean Christophe Carbonel.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 10:47 AM UTC
Many thanks for getting this up, James. I appreciate all the effort that went into getting this one ready.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
Nice review Jan, and looks like an interestingly detailed book. Vividly recall seeing the series of ads they ran featuring the Sdkfz 251 and the Panzer II as built by top modellers of the day.

I see that it does mention Bill Farmer who sculpted their figures, both the soft polythene ones and those included in the armour kits.

Here is his rather interesting website: Figuresculptor.com
I see he worked on figures for other companies, as well as Cindy dolls and Captain Scarlet action figures, before working at Ford Motors. Like the photo of him in the sixties, he looks a bit cool in his white coat... ah, yes, and that's the pic I recall of his wife and daughters...

To use a phrase well-known in the UK: "Didn't he do well!!??"

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice review Jan, and looks like an interestingly detailed book. Vividly recall seeing the series of ads they ran featuring the Sdkfz 251 and the Panzer II as built by top modellers of the day.
To use a phrase well-known in the UK: "Didn't he do well!!??"

Thanks, Matthew, I'm glad that you found it interesting. The book is filled with anecdotes about those early years plus many historical details. The more I read the harder is was to put it down but also rather daunting to decide what to include in the review. I must say that I was rather pleasantly surprised by the price. Compared to many recent books this one appears more reasonable. I even saw it on Amazon UK for £12.74 with free delivery. For the Canadian viewers of this thread, Amazon.ca has it on sale for CDN$14.75.

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 06:32 AM UTC
Very interesting review Jan, but I wish you went into even more detail! The pictures look great and I find my curiosity suitably peeked and at the price you quote may have to get this.

I still see a lot of old Matchbox kits in the sale bins in some hobby shops (usually more aircraft than armour). Wondering, are there many pictures of sprue shots or finished models?

Regards,
AJ
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 06:52 AM UTC
Nice review! I'll be picking this book up for sure. Matchbox kits bring back some fond memories. I recall going through the 1982 catalog and putting a check mark next to each kit I built. I think I was churning out a kit every week back then!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very interesting review Jan, but I wish you went into even more detail!

Trust me AJ, it was all I could do to not replicate the entire book, or most of it, for the review. But that would defeat the purpose of the review and get me sued.

Quoted Text

Wondering, are there many pictures of sprue shots or finished models?

To the extent that many might desire, the answer is basically no. There are a number of pictures of kit sprues and a sprinkling of built models but mostly they are kit boxes and advertising copy from the various eras.

Quoted Text

Nice review! I'll be picking this book up for sure. Matchbox kits bring back some fond memories. I recall going through the 1982 catalog and putting a check mark next to each kit I built. I think I was churning out a kit every week back then!

Thanks Graeme and I think that you will find the book fascinating. I don't want to give away too many secrets as that might ruin your enjoyment but be prepared for a few enlightening anecdotes. I think that there are many of us that more than enjoyed the Matchbox experience.

BTW, for those that don't know, there is a Matchbox vehicle campaign to start on Armorama in September. You can find all the particulars on the Matchbox Campaign Page

Cheers,
Jan
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 07:22 PM UTC
Damn, those armor kits with small base, really bring some memories
 _GOTOTOP