Opinion wanted on these "footsteps"
blunce
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hey guys,

I'm trying to replicate some dried mud footstep marks left behind by some crew with muddy boots. I think I like the way it came out, but not sure. What do you guys think? Too much? Unrealistic? Awesome? Should they stay or should they go now?

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 08:57 AM UTC
I've made similar tracks myself on 1:1 vehicles. They look fine to me. Sometimes however, they might tend to collect around the hatch as you adjust your position to get in.
Did you use the Caliber 35 rubber feet, or just do them on your own?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 09:21 AM UTC
The model looks great, but in my humble opinion your foothsteps look too "regular"

It might have been better put some footsteps with a random distribution

Just my opinion anyway
blunce
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 09:21 AM UTC
I just used a brush that was about the right size. My idea was that they guy came up the back "ladder", which has more dry mud on it, came over the top and walked up to the front. I agree though, maybe I should add a few more random steps up toward the front, near the hatch he got into.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 10:47 PM UTC
I can't see the whole model,but I think you might need some more mud in general,I mean think of eqipment on a muddy construction site,there is usually mud everywhere,not just a few footprints.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 05:55 AM UTC
Brian, I'm not familiar with this vehicle and have a question. In your picture you have the front 2 sets of wheels turned to the left and the back 2 sets straight. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that most multi-wheel vehicles I've seen have all wheel steering to avoid dragging the rear tires through a corner.

For your footprints, wouldn't they fade out more as they approached the hatch area?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 06:16 AM UTC
How do you make your footsteps? I've seen the boots available for marking, but was never sure how to go about applying the paint.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 10:53 AM UTC
I would make them fade out more as they go along. Each time you leave a print there will bw less mud in each step as it wears off.
hobgrot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 - 05:13 PM UTC
Think there should be more footprints to the front. Unless it's delicate, parts tend to get walked on by crew.

Also they'd use the tools as anti-slip "devices" ie the bottom of the boot would step on the axe head with the heel behind - this would leave some mud behind & on the axe as if the crewman scraped off the mud on it before climbing in the hatch.

A lot depends on the type of mud - waterey or thick, sticky clay -- local big construction site is a good example of what happens on working vehicles.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't see the whole model,but I think you might need some more mud in general,I mean think of eqipment on a muddy construction site,there is usually mud everywhere,not just a few footprints.

Have to agree with Anthony. I would expect more dirt and dust build up. As well as actual dirt marks, there should be scuff marks also, where the dirt has been moved/scraped, showing through to the base colour.
The marks you´ve made appear to be one round circle/blob. Id have another smaller blob behind it to show the heal of the shoe ... give a better impression of a foot! I cant imagine soldier tip-toeing across the top in case they get caught
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 03:05 PM UTC
Can no one answer my question about the wheel placement (2 turned and 2 straight)?
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 05:10 PM UTC
I do not do modern subjects, but I think this is how this vehicle is supposed to be:

AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 07:37 PM UTC
Thanks Mark. I'm in the same boat about not doing modern stuff so other than some of the MBTs, I'm lost.

With that set up, that thing must have a heck of a turn radius.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
It's kind of funny, I just went to the local hobby shop and came across a build review in one of the mags I looked through. It showed a nice pic of the suspension so I could see how it was done. Talking to the guy there, I found out the Marine LAV is done the same way.
 _GOTOTOP