_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
Badger 105 Patriot airbrush
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 09:55 AM UTC
Matt Flegal takes the Badger 105 Patriot airbrush out for a test ride and finds out how user friendly this airbrush is.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
stratox
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 - 12:51 AM UTC
James, great review on the 105. I've been using mine for about a year now and I couldn't be more happy. It outperforms some of the more expensive brands that I have been using thought the years. The only real issue for me is the exposes needle tip. I've yet to break it. But I have pricked my fingers several times. At times it is good that it is exposed, it makes it a lot easier to clean that tip of paint gunk while spraying.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 - 08:50 AM UTC
Agreed, nice review!
I've been very happy with mine too, even though I don't have experience with more expensive brands, at least yet.

I feel the same way about the instructions as well. The written assembly sequence part is good, but somewhat awkward as the names of the components aren't shown on the exploded view drawings, only in the text.
Same for the regular vs. fine needle/tip/regulator parts, there's just the numbers. Not a big deal to look them up online, but still. (the medium parts are marked with a not-too-obvious cross after the part number in the parts drawing)

If you've been longing for a guarded regulator, there is one! Guarded regulator, 41-043:

It's originally for the 200NH brush, but the head assembly is the same on the 105/155/360 line as well, so it fits right in. I wonder why this isn't mentioned in the instructions. Looking for one, I sent email to Badger and they replied very quickly and pointed out what part to get.
But there's one catch. That guarded regulator is meant to go with the medium needle and tip, so you'll need to get them too.
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a fine guarded regulator offered by Badger, at least looking at exploded view parts maps online.

On a side note, even though the 41-043 regulator will probably fit in with with the fine tip supplied with the brush (cf. fine regulator coupled with a medium tip probably wouldn't), my guess is that it would have a more or less negative effect on the spray pattern.

stratox
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 - 05:21 PM UTC
I do have the guarded cap (41-043). I tried using it some time ago when I received it. It just didn't work. Using it with a medium tip/needle might be the key. I'll have to do some more experimenting this week.

According to Badger, 41-045 is the Fine and 41-046 is the Medium tip/regulator/needle. I've just did a quick test of the guarded regulator -043 with the fine tip/needle. (.51 millimeter) These was a bit of a spitting action going on. It's late and I'm going to try more in the AM. I'll post some results later.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've just did a quick test of the guarded regulator -043 with the fine tip/needle. (.51 millimeter) These was a bit of a spitting action going on.

That's just what I was thinking could happen. The hole in the medium regulator is larger than in the fine one, so when combined with the fine tip and needle, the space between the tip and regulator is larger than supposed to, which then affects the air flow and spray pattern.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 12:51 AM UTC
Nice review Matt- looks like a nice brush. What did you think of the quick release hose mechanism?
Militarymodeller80
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hi

Nice review and it confirms my own finding s

I have a number of Badger brushes, 200, 150, 155 and 175 and get top quality results from all of them, its a shame they don't get much of a look in these days in the modelling world with Iwata taking the lions share, especialy over here in Europe. I also have 3 Iwatas as well and cannot see why as they are not any7 better than the badgers.

Of all my Brushes the Badger 175 is my Favourite though, and that's probably because its quite chunky brush and fits well in my chunky hands. It also helps that the 175 is sometimes sold so cheap that its easy to buy all three (Find, Medium % Heavy) for the price of one Iwata, there is a guy in the UK that regularly sells them on eBay for about $35 each (Bargain)

Paul
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice review Matt- looks like a nice brush. What did you think of the quick release hose mechanism?

It works quite well and is easy. I don't usually swap brushes during a session, so it's not a big thing for me. But it does work well and smoothly.

Matt
 _GOTOTOP