_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Dio : Tarmac
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
anybody can tell me how to build an airfield tarmac ? Is there an article about it.

It should be in 1/32 scale.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 05:05 PM UTC
I read once about a method that I havn't tried so far.
You need some styro foam and some snading paper.
You press the sanding paper onto the styro to impress the grain onto it.
You paint, and voila !
You can probably try this on other surfaces... Choose the grain depending on the scale.
If you try this, tell us if it works well !
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 09:32 PM UTC
If you wanna go for the ultra-detail tarmac check out the article on page 90 of the January issue of Fine Scale Modeler (the 20th Anniversary Issue). It's a good article on building really nice roads and runways. If you wanna try the low-detail tarmac (like I did as a quick solution for pics for my Hornet in the article I wrote) you can try this method:
1) I purchased a 30"x20"x1/8" piece of foam board at the local crafts store. Very sturdy and easy to work with.
2) I painted one side of the board a dark grey to simulate concrete.
3) After the paint was dry I used a permanent marker and a yardstick to draw lines representing the tar between the slabs of concrete.
4) Next, I mixed up a lighter shade of grey and airbrushed into the centers of each 'slab' to lighten them sort of like a sun bleached concrete slab.

I haven't messed around with the tarmac I built for the Hornet anymore but when I build the F-105 I have under my desk, I'm either going to build an entirely new one using the methods in that article above or mess around with the Hornet tarmac to try and make it more realistic (addition of yellow lines, grease spots, dull-coating it, etc.).

In the article I wrote about Digital Photography Tips I described how I built that tarmac for the Hornet photo shoot so you may wanna read it.
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 01:24 AM UTC
Verlinden makes a pretty nice piece of tarmac...
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 01:40 AM UTC
Weezul, you VP lover,

as far as I know Verlinden doesn't produce 1/32 Tarmac's, but I can be wrong here.

If they do, can you please give me the article number.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC
Dont know if this helps, I have never needed it or tried it. I thought about this one time and a simple method for me would be to get a large sheet of sandpaer and spray it to whatever colour you want and then stencil on whatever markings you need. Maybe you just need some method of joing the differnet sheets of sandpaper realistically if you want a longer runway.
 _GOTOTOP