_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Groundwork Identification
sosnjo
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 09:02 AM UTC
Hi, I'd like to get someones help with naming a putty-like material used for groundwork. I saw it in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLhrYK8xnr4

Skip to 50 seconds in the video to see what im talking about.

Thanks!
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC
wow, I would like some of that. It looks like some sort of clay product with sand (or some texture item) mixed in.

sosnjo
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 10:57 AM UTC
Thats what i'm saying, I've looked on a few hobby sites, haven't found anything
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 11:22 AM UTC
Joe,

I can't tell what the guy is saying p don't even know what language it was. But, judging from what I saw, it looks like he's using air dry clay.

If that's what it is, then I can tell you about it. I use DAS Air Dry Clay often in my groundwork. Here's a link to the item.

http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/tabid/365/List/1/CategoryID/14213/Level/a/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%2cUnitCost

You can also get it in Michaels reasonably cheap. I think the stuff is great. Works like putty and dries hard as a rock in less than 24 hours. One drawback to it. You'll have to glue it down to the base i it doesn't adhere on its own. I use Elmers glue for that. Carpenters glue works just as well.

It comes if a couple of colors, but I strictly use white.

Steve
sosnjo
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
Thanks for the response.

So you add a layer of glue to the base then add the clay? Also, how do you apply dirt/grass?

Thanks
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 01:00 PM UTC
Any putty would work to do this. If you want texture, just stipple it with a stiff short-hair brush. There are plenty of putties that will stick to whatever you have built up the base with, so you dont need white glue either.
I watched these videos about a week ago. Good modeller and the images look good ... but I wonder how these models would stand up in competition or under closer inpection?
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the response.

So you add a layer of glue to the base then add the clay? Also, how do you apply dirt/grass?

Thanks

I brush on some glue, roll and press the clay into position, then move on to another area. You can wet your fingers to smooth out the clay.

Before the clay sets, I spread some fine dirt/sand on the clay and gently press in with my fingers. For grass, I use Silfor matts, so the grass tufts can be pressed in.

Steve
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 06:07 PM UTC
Looks like clay , but with some grain.

IMO, there is simply no need to use a commercial product for groundwork.
Use sifted sand and earth, mix it with some water and wood glue (ok, that is commercial :-) ).
Sometimes i add some plaster in the earthmix. It speeds the time the whole thing is well fixed and does not run over borders any more. The paster lightens up the earth colour also.

Using different grains and colours allow you to diversify your terrain before even adding paint, pigments or vegetation.

Claude
CompanyOfHeroesRocks
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 01:37 AM UTC
I think it's cork putty, I remember seeing those videos ages ago and went looking for some.
To be honest, I agree with Claude, once you add PVA and sand over the top it all looks the same once painted.
sosnjo
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 09:55 AM UTC
Thats what I did for my first diorama, im surpised how well it worked out, I just got to get some greenery now.
 _GOTOTOP