Hosted by Darren Baker
A StuG in the grass, alas
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2012 - 03:06 AM UTC
A few (not quite in focus)pics of a generic early Tamiya StuG III, late in the war. The concrete applique is from Bagheera who came out with them after the kit was released. Someone gave them to me for free and I decided to use them after seeing a pic of a StuG with such, destroyed in the Battle of Lake Balaton. The oil barrel has an Aber PE fuel drum cover. I used Hauler PE for finer detailing. The Squadron/Signal Walkaround Sturmgeschutz Ausf G was my main reference source.

Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2012 - 10:57 AM UTC
I'm considering building one of these as a StuH 42. How'd the kit go together? I'm usually a US armor modeler, but with a number of original German pieces coming to Ft. Sill in the coming months (plus the ones we have), I'm getting tempted to build a few. I've always liked the StuG, so the StuH 42 is a logical starting point!

Jon
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2012 - 11:05 AM UTC
As is, the kit is fine. I have no recollection of any problems. Of course it is trickier using PE. Hauler makes a general PE set as well as separate grills, schurzen and rear stowage frame. There are metal barrels available, too. Since you like to do US vehicles, treat yourself to a StuG and use it as a background piece on a diorama.
cheers,
Glenn
 _GOTOTOP