Color of ARVN armor?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 05:20 AM UTC
Heya, Folks,

Thanks to all for the help the other day on Mutt question (as always, great photos, Frenchy!)

Still recovering from recent surgery so I'm looking at another unfinished project, an AFVClub ARVN M41. In looking a color photo in the old Tanks Illustrated "Tank War Vietnam" the ARVN Bulldog appears to be a much darker green than the O.D. Of the time, maybe closer to Marine green?

I'm trying to find other color shots of ARVN M41 to compare. And of course, I get that the printing process can skew colors along with light, shadow, dust, and a million other variables...

Any thoughts on the color of "ARVN O.D."? Was it a separate color or not? I would assume that the M41 came from older stocks (as opposed to the newer M113) so this could have been a factor.

If I remember right, I used Tamiya NATO Black Green for Vietnam-era Marine Green for an LVTP5 with the blessing of a retired Marine tanker and modeler. Tempted to go the same route with the M41.

Lastly, does anyone know of an aftermarket Crouse-Hinds 18" search light in 35thscale? Would love to add one to my M41 and possibly an M48a3.

Thanks again, folks!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lastly, does anyone know of an aftermarket Crouse-Hinds 18" search light in 35thscale? Would love to add one to my M41 and possibly an M48a3.

I know there was one included in the old Dragon M46 kit (#6805) :

Maybe someone has one in the spare parts box ? (I'm not sure the kit is still available )

You can check out Jerzy's ARVN armor photo album for more color pics :

https://picasaweb.google.com/100891020754889610478/ARVNArmor?noredirect=1#

HTH

Frenchy
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
as I recall there was two different O.D. greens used in RVN. Not a lot of difference unless you were repainting chipped paint. One (later version) seemed to be slightly lighter in color, but still darker than Marine green.

Paint really faded badly over there, and was very noticable from the top down. Very little rust in the dry season, unless you were on the coast line.
gary
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 04:08 AM UTC
Thanks again, guys!

The info is much appreciated!

Frenchy, I'll keep an eye open for the old DML M46 kit at swap meets and such. Would be worth paying a fair price foe the searchlight alone to be able to use on the M41, M48 etc.

Speaking of which, have you heard of a new styrene M48 kit in the works...?

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking of which, have you heard of a new styrene M48 kit in the works...?

Yes I've seen the recent thread on ML modern forum.

Frenchy
Removed by original poster on 08/11/12 - 16:46:08 (GMT).
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 05:20 AM UTC
You might be able to use the Searchlight from the AFVClub Centurion . Not certain, though
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 - 07:12 AM UTC
Thanks, Dave! While I do have the Cent unfortunately, it isn't the flashlight that I am looking for...arg. Will have to keep an eye out for the M46 down the line.

Thanks, amigo.

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Wittmann98_VN
Visit this Community
Hanoi, Vietnam
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hello Johnny!
I'm not sure...but as my uncle said (he's a former NVA special forces trooper fought in Da Nang), that ARVN (and U.S) AFVs often has Dark Green color, or some have O.D, but a bit darker tones, in order to blend in the tropic jungles of Vietnam.

Hope this help you!

Huy .
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 - 12:32 PM UTC
Thanks --- or should I say "tanks" --- a bunch, Mai Huy!! I'm definitely going to go with a darker green for the ARVN M41! Now I just have to load it up with ammo boxes and other stowage.

Thanks again!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
 _GOTOTOP