_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tie downs on a M35A2 Cargo truck, help!
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC
I was just wondering how i could tie down say a tire, barbed wire, or some cammo netting on the hood of a M35A2. I've allready got the tiedowns and what iam going to tie down onto the hood, but where would the straps go onto the truck?

Thanks,
Mike
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 06:44 PM UTC
Mike,

There not REAL tie downs on the hood. The rolls (usually 2) of concertina wire were tossed on the hood and tied in place with pieces of commo wire. The holder brackets (kinda U shaped like then ones for the hood) for the windshield hold down T-clamps (for when the windshield was folded down) and the brush grill at the front is where we tied off too. The concertina wire would always slide back and forth and scratched a wear pattern in the paint. And commo wire is stranded 18ga (?) wire with a black plastic-like jacket. That’s about the best I remember. We always had to pack the camo netting back into the bag with the poles and the spreaders, this was neatly packed (thrown) in the back of the truck. There isn’t really any place on the hood to run straps through or around. The hood it’s self is formed sheet metal and rather lightweight, I’ve seen the wind catch them and fold them in half across the top edge of the windshield. The side doors are just light sheet metal too and have spring-loaded pins on the bottom ends that act as hinges and hold them on, the latches at the top ends barely keep the doors closed sometimes.

But as soldiers we do all kinds of weird things that seem to work. Good luck. :-)

Dave
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 08:25 AM UTC
Thanks Dave i appreciate the info. I was just thinking about straping something to the mirrors on the side of the truck or onto the grill infront of the truck. And good point about certain things blocking the drivers view i never even thought of that so thanks again!

Mike
 _GOTOTOP