_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon M3 75mm GMC with Griffon Royal Edition
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hi all,
This is the kit I am building for the US Halftrack Campaign I am doing this thread so as not to clutter up the campaign thread, I want to post all the steps and there is a lot of PE.

Cheers Rob.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:09 AM UTC
Here are the parts from step 1 and some from step 2 cleaned up also the storage compartment because I had to try out my Etch Mate and with that done had to see how it fit.

Cheers Rob.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:18 AM UTC
Here are a couple of tries with making the hinges, the wire size Griffon calls out and that comes with the set is too small and too soft. I finally settled on some fine piano wire, harder to cut but much easier to work with and I think a better size. Griffon on top piano wire on the bottom.

Here is the PE done on the bogie housings, I found it easier to glue the pieces on and then drill the holes.

Here they are finished.

Cheers Rob.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC
Here I am working on step 4, I carved the coils off the rear springs and replaced with copper wire.

I wanted the front wheels to turn and had been thinking of various ways of doing that when moving a unfinished Tamiya halftrack and seeing the wheels turn it hit me so...

After a little surgery I had this:

Cheers Rob.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:32 AM UTC
Here are the PE parts for the ditching roller and one side finished.

Cheers Rob.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 03:12 PM UTC
Nice effort there Rob,

I like how you robbed the Tamiya kit of the steering arms.

Your going to punish yourself with the Griffon set

I look forward to your build progress, from what we can see it's happy days .

Thanks Michael
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi Rob,

Nice work, looking excellent. I'd like to build one of these someday.

Keep up the good work.

Al
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks Guys!

Got the ditching roller done and mounted.

Cheers Rob.
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hello Rob,

I am very curious about this project. I thought about buying this kit before because of the decal option for the british two-tone camouflage with the colourful air recognition-roundel on the front hatches. Which marking will you use on your model? I have not seen the campaign thread yet so please excuse me, if this answer has allready been answered there. I look forward to see how you handle the PE update-set. Looks like a lot of work. One special point of interest: you cannibalized the old Tamiya-Halftrack to get parts for the front wheel suspension. Did you use these to avoid a bigger work load to achieve movable wheels or at least wheels which can be shown in a turned position OR did you use them because you didn`t see a way to achieve this by using the original Dragon parts even if these are going to be reworked? I am asking this because I am, as I`ve stated above, also interested in this kit and thing that some details like angled wheels add a great part of realism. So I wonder if one can get this by working with the Dragon-Kit only? Did you change the wheels because the Tamiya ones just had a better fit on the Tamiya axles or didn`t you like the bulged ones Dragon provided? How do you feel about these?

So, enough talking about my problems and questions. At least, this is your build, so you deserve the attention...

I like your build so far and will definitely check for updates. I like you taking the challenge of the photo-etch orgy. Good luck there. Are you going to solder bigger parts? I also like your clean build so far and your first self-made details like the brass springs. Very nice done.The effort with the wheels was also worth it`s work.

I hope, you will enjoy the future build.

Best Regards from Germany

Dennis
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 03:59 AM UTC
Great progress so far! Looking forward to seeing more!
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hi Dennis,
I'll be doing British markings not sure which yet. It is fairly easy to turn the wheels of the dragon kit by cutting the tab off the end of the axle, however you will have to carefully glue each wheel on to match and the pivot will not be in the correct spot. I chose the way I did it because it was quite easy, puts the pivot in the right spot and I can still adjust the wheels when finished. I used the Tamiya wheels because it was easier to just swap everything over, you lose a small amount of detail but that would be hard to see. One other bonus is that I can remove the wheels for painting. As for the bulge I can take it or leave it after reading various opinions on it I think it would be accurate for a vehicle that lost air pressure or had it released for soft ground. Hope I covered all your questions.

Hi Darren,
Thanks!

Cheers Rob.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 04:58 PM UTC
On to the cab, first up cleaning all the detail that is not needed, my least favorite part of using PE then put the floor pieces in.

Cheers Rob.

gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 06:16 PM UTC
Impressive. This is one I'll definitely be following. I have all the DML M2/M3 kits and a bunch of K-59 upgrades for them and I've been tossing up whether or not these PE sets were worth getting so I'm really keen to see how this one progresses.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hi Dean,
I do like the PE set and as a bonus I got this one and the one for the M16 for half price!

Cheers Rob.
 _GOTOTOP