_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
REVIEW
Armor35 RR Track, Occupied USSR
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 03:42 PM UTC
Fred Boucher takes a look at Railroad Track, Occupied USSR from Armor35.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
baskette
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 01:25 AM UTC
Seems like a well researched and manufactured product. However, it seems to have one shortcoming. The problem I see is that the length provided is around 6 inches in length which will be insufficient for most dio applications. So, just buy two and join them together right? The problem is that the cast sections have rail ends joined with fish plates in the centers of each cast rail. That means you cannot realistically use a fish plate joint at the junction with a second casting because that joint will be unrealistically close to the fish plate joint already cast into the molded length of track. Raw rail sections are much longer than this. Seems this would have been better with no rail joints cast into the model, and loose fish plate details provided to naturally added a second length of track.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 03:03 AM UTC
Mike if you contact the company with your comments chances are they will take them onboard.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 04:16 AM UTC
I echo Mike's concern. LZ Models is working on a Russian flatcar, so there will be rolling stock for these rails. It would be nice to see the manufacturer include enough track & ties to be useful for a build.

I tried to sort through their website, but could find no indications of a distributor in the US.

But in any case, thanks, Fred, for alerting us to this product and manufacturer.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hey James, I agree with Darren about contacting the company. At this time I am in contact with Dragons research team about a way to fix equipment issues with the Peleliu U.S.M.'s and seems to be going in the right direction. So give them a e-mail and see what happens. I have several sets of Trump's R/R track and they work well without the base itself. I don't know what the size differance would be for the rail width (there is soom because of the differant guages) but with a little playing around I can put Trumps or Dragons rolling stock on them.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems like a well researched and manufactured product. However, it seems to have one shortcoming. The problem I see is that the length provided is around 6 inches in length which will be insufficient for most dio applications. So, just buy two and join them together right? The problem is that the cast sections have rail ends joined with fish plates in the centers of each cast rail. That means you cannot realistically use a fish plate joint at the junction with a second casting because that joint will be unrealistically close to the fish plate joint already cast into the molded length of track. Raw rail sections are much longer than this. Seems this would have been better with no rail joints cast into the model, and loose fish plate details provided to naturally added a second length of track.

I would have to agree with this issue, there is also an issue with the spacing of the tie(sleeper) if you were to join two set. In North American the standard length for a peice of rail is 39', I am not sure what it was in Europe at that time. But you would think it would be easier to make the kit what ever the standard length was, and provide plates for joining kits together.

Just a thought.....
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I forwarded your remarks to Leonid at Armor35. He asked me to reply:

Quoted Text

If it is possible, I ask you to answer from my name the following:

I ask to forgive me for bad English........ It is pleasant to me that you come up with the ideas concerning production of our production. Your statements will be useful. Thanks.

Rather this set - it is intended for fans of vignettes (lengths enough to establish on it armor section car from Dragon, instead of for fans of dioramas. This set is specially made with connection a rail in the middle and its length equals 1/2 whole rails.
If the long site of a way is necessary to you, it is other set which can be joined to another, thereby increasing length of a way.

http://armor35.ru/index.php?productID=13004
Best Regards,
Leonid

_GOTOTOP