_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Burn out
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:08 PM UTC
Hi guys

I had something happen today that I can say has not happen in many years. I did not feel like working on a model. I sat at my desk and just could not get the creative juices going. I've been working on an older Tamiya kit their Long Range Desert chevy for about 9 weeks now. its almost ready to weather, coming along find, and Ive lost interest in it. My question is has this ever happen to anyone else, if so how did you deal with it?

HarryD
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My question is has this ever happen to anyone else, if so how did you deal with it?

Sure Harry----personally I have a tendency to hit a bit of a lull after I've completed a model--and then just take a few days from building before I start a new one.

However, a few weeks back, I kind of hit a wall just like you and didn't model for a couple of weeks----just didn't want to! During that time I kept checking things out here in the gallery, Rivet Review, and chat, so even if you're not modeling, you still keep in touch with the hobby.

You can also try a completely different type of model. Pic up a Sci Fi kit or whatever---that can be kinda fun----> and that's the bottom line with this hobby pal!!!!!

Keep us posted.
Steve
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:45 PM UTC
Not only has that happened, I am subject to it from time to time, let's see, 2 Panzer II, P-39 Aircobra, 250/1Neu, numerous half completed figures, Dupont MoteCarlo, and the list goes on. What I find I do is put them aside until I feel the inspiration to return to them. In the interm I find I spend time reading (ok looking alot of pictures) or watching the History channel for new inspriation.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 03:23 PM UTC
Hi guys

Thanks for the help. I think I'll take a break for a bit, maybe try some sci fi kit have a beer or two or ten and regroup.

HarryD
M113
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hahaha..Off course Harry, and often ! That's 4 sure !

Can u imagine, it happened to me while makin my "Famo" moths ago, but thanx God, passed quickly :-)

Happy modellings anyway
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 05:53 PM UTC
wolfsix:
YES when ever a build is not going the way I think it should be going, I have to back off a few days to get build fever back again, or I'll blow the damn thing up.
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 07:25 PM UTC
It happensto everyone... sometime a few days, sometimes few weeks. Heck once I stopped a project in mid stream and did not model for years.... 15 to be exact.

But I'm back....

John
www.johnneill.com
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 10:22 PM UTC
I find I get in and out of the modeling groove throughout the year. I'll go heavy for a while then I don't see the workbench for two weeks. Then I get the itch to work again. I think this is a normal thing for all to lose and regain interest.

HastyP
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 11:32 PM UTC
It happens to all of us, sooner or later.
Best thing is to leave your modeling table alone for a while. Do other things that have nothing to do with your modeling. That may last a few weeks / months, but the modeling bug will find you again soon enough.

You can also switch to another model if that's what you feel like doing. But it may take a mighty long time before your current model is back on the table.

Why not think of a new future for the SAME model you're working on ? Place it in a dio ? Paint it in a completely different paint scheme than you planned ? Make a few figures to come with that... ? That may spark your interest in continuing the job...

skytrainboy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 12:52 AM UTC
i know what ure talking about i jus just completed 3 dioramas for a show im goin to today and im tired jus i have been pushing myself since juen to completed all 3 of them
you'll get over it
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 483 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
i've been in a slump ever since i lost my airbrush.. i felt notce how i said felt like i couldn't do anything to any model even though i paint after their built. it was a weird funk that i'm luckily out of now b/c dad bought me a new airbrush... Aztek A4704alot of painting is going to go on today!!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 04:52 AM UTC
Howdy wolfsix,

You've had some pretty good input here from everybody, just glad to hear you're feeling better!
My method to avoid any onslaught of a 'slump' is to continue with my normal modeling style. I usually have at least half a dozen (minimum) models going at any one time. I'm assembling this, painting that, or weathering something else entirely. And believe me, this site, and the great people on it, has seen to it that I continue the madness! My point is, along with doing multiple projects as a matter of course, I also try to immerse myself in some of the new methods and techniques I learn here with you guys..........works for me.
But believe me, I KNOW about burn-out first hand. Flying has always been my first Love, and back in my late twenties/early thirties I flew helo's for a low-level application aviation firm in Pennsylvania. Long story short, I worked my tail soooooo hard, 7 days a week, at that job (literally night and day), that one norning I woke up and discovered that I truly hated the idea that I was going to have to fly again that day!!.....packed my bags that day and drove back to Colorado. Been here since.
I can't tell you how many days I hear a helicopter fly overhead and have a wave of nostalgia flush over me..................................I dearly miss it.
Like relationships, doing something you love has it's highs and it's lows. The lesson I learned (for what it's worth to you), is to always maintain DIVERSITY. Because, unless you're some kind of 'bean-counter' with his nose firmly planted in some 'life-groove', as the saying goes "Variety is the Spice of life!"
hth.

Tread. :-)
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 09:17 AM UTC
I can understand where your coming from. The worse for me is trying to finish a model or diorama and things take longer than you hoped for and combined with other aspects of life its now days before contest and the more I rush the less I enjoy it. Then I stop and it takes awhile to get back in the saddle. I do always return though......

Brian
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 11:30 AM UTC
I’ve dealt with this as well. I’ve found that slamming together a 1/144th scale plane gets me back in the game. I keep a stock on hand for just such “burn-out” days. Somehow, doing a project in just a day or two gets me hungry for a more substantial project. I agree with TreadHead, diversity is the key. I love 1/35 armor and vignettes, 1/72 and 1/48 planes, and 1/700 ships. Those are my meat and potatoes. But when I tire out a bit on them, those 1/144th scale planes just get me all reved up again.

Mike
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 11:46 AM UTC
One thing I do to stay fresh is to alter the subject area I build in and I always have a number of different projects going at once.
This does a few things
- different subjects gives me a break from my focus, 1/35 armor related dioramas.
- many projects gives me a choice of what I sit down and work on.

To 'get through' this take some of the previous posts -take a break, leave the table and slowly ease back in.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 12:19 PM UTC
this has happend to me and my burn out lasted like 4 years,
back in 1997 to like 99 i built a ;pt then i bruned out till this past summer i started to build agin.
iam takeing a driffrent approce to modeling this time.
iam in the mood i will go to my desk and do some work.
and may be i will not work on my project for 2 days or so,
cause in the old days i would just build all the time.
i would bang a tanl out one ever few weeks,
now i take a few days off from kit tot kit and it seems to be working
 _GOTOTOP