_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Pumpkins in the Banners
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:44 PM UTC
Jim, I must be blind because I just noticed them. A very nice touch. Well done.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 03:28 PM UTC
Do you mean the logo pumpkin? I actually had that up for last year. I just forgot about it and remembered last night. A bit late.

Thanks!

How was your Halloween?

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC
I remember the Jack O Lantern well from last year. I hope we get a turkey up there next!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 11:25 PM UTC
But it's gone again ?! Don't you guys do halloween ALL weekend ? ? ?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:41 AM UTC
Yup it's gone. My decorations at home are down too. Those pumkins rot fast ya know.

A Turkey eh? Considering Thankgiving is celebrated (or not celebrated) at different times of the year world-wide that might be a tough one.

Are there any other upcoming fun Euro celebrated holidays? Besides Christmas that is.

Cheers,
Jim
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are there any other upcoming fun Euro celebrated holidays? Besides Christmas that is.

Cheers,
Jim

Ooooooh YES !!! For Belgian and Dutch people (maybe even French ?), there's Sinterklaas on 6 December. Sinterklaas is the original saint ("sint") who probably evolved into Santa Clause overseas. Traditionally, this character is followed by a group of Zwarte Pieten ("Black Peter's") who distribute candy. He rides a big white horse and comes over the rooftops, then enters through the chimney and leaves plenty of nice presents for kids. Small children (mostly up to the age of firmly believe this is true, so the night of 5 december is always a fun moment for those who install the gifts. As from the beginning of November, you'll see all kinds of Sinterklaas' appearing in department stores. During this period, kids can come whisper to Sinterklaas what their favourite toy wish would be, and this wish is often granted.
To grownup kids, Sinterklaas often brings model kits and modeling equipment .

If you want to get some idea on what this folly is all about , try this :

this.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 05:44 AM UTC
Very interesting. I found a cool page that has lots of info about Christmas and Sinterklaas in the Netherlands.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/7965/kerst/tockerst.htm

It's fun to note how we "New World'ers" kind of melded the two holidays together (one for celbebrating St. Nicholas and one for Chirst's birthday).

I will make up a logo for Sinterklaas but someone may want to remind me a bit before then.

Cheers,
Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
I grew up and celebrated Saint Nick's day in our house - December 6th. Very similar to Jan's story. We would put a shoe next to the door so Saint Nick could come by and leave a small gift and if you were bad a switch. We always got both, somehow he knew that we weren't 100% good . He would signal that he had come by ringing a bell on his way out the door. As kids we would always run to the porch to see if we could get a glimps of him. Guess what - Never did - he's fast!
 _GOTOTOP