_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-80U Brod-M Wading Gear Help
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 05:46 PM UTC
Furher question in relation to the T-80U I'm building.
The SPDesigns conversion shows 3 options for the wading gear dependant on year of service.
It shows the 2005 variant with both the large cover/intake that goes over the intake on the top of the top deck behind turret AND the large tube with a square connection on it.
I fail to undrstand what both parts are used for.

If the gas turbine intake trunking is used it only gos as high as the turret.
Where does the large tube go and why?
If for the cupola then it gives a very high intake but the other one will be underwater hence defeating the purpose.

Is it an alternative dependant on depth and you close the top deck intake cover?

Any help appreciated as I like the look with both on, just cant see the reason behind it and makes me question whether I'm making something totally wrong.

Cheers and thanks for your expertise.
Scott
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 11:26 PM UTC
I do not know if it aswers Your questions, but have a look here: http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=880 It is a BV, but it has the wading kit deployed.
barsik
Visit this Community
Omsk, Russia
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 07:17 AM UTC
On T-80U there is no Brod-M system. The Brod-M system was established on tanks T-80UK, T-80UE, T-80UD.
The Brod-M system allows to overcome water depth of an obstacle to 1,8 meters without preparation. Brod-M system - system which consists of valves and pumps of pumping of water. And outside it isn't visible, and is object of reservation. That it you mean it not Brod-M and usual OPVT (the equipment of underwater driving of the tank). And for its installation and preparation it is spent for my 40 minutes. And to system Brod-M have no relation.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC
What is commonly referred to as BROD-M:

I will try to get more info on it tonight
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 05:53 PM UTC
From what I see on Jacques' picture, the square end of the tube looks to be a connection for the exhaust.
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 07:24 PM UTC
Brilliant,
That is exactly it.
This photo and the ones on dishmodels for the BV explain it well.
I didn't realize that the tube replaced the exhaust outlet, with it folding up.
I think the large trunking shown here is much taller than the one in the kit, the kit one goes just above turret height, where as this, and the tube is much higher.
The photos are excellent as well showing the installation with he folding mechanism to move the exhaust diffuser, my term, out of the way.

Thans guys

barsik
Visit this Community
Omsk, Russia
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is commonly referred to as BROD-M:

It not DROD-M. This usual VZU (air intake). It is applied to an air fence on the top cut of a tower. Where air the purest. The Doplnitelny pipe on VZU is applied in especially dusty areas. As VZU is applied at underwater driving, only on it the additional pipe is established. On VZU the pipe is behind fixed for deducing exhaust gases at underwater driving.

free image hosting

photo upload
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 05:44 AM UTC
Anatolii, I think we understand the same thing. BROD-M, to me at least, is the name I use for the ENTIRE water fording system, both interior and exterior. Maybe a more accurate way of saying it is the exterior fittings for the BROD-M system.

Scott - glad the picture helped. Now get to that kit!
barsik
Visit this Community
Omsk, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe a more accurate way of saying it is the exterior fittings for the BROD-M system.

No. In total that outside of any relation to BROD-M system have no. It is OPVT (the equipment of underwater driving of the tank). As I already wrote on this tank the BROD-M system wasn't established.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 06:04 AM UTC
So BROD-M is a totally different internal "plumbing" setup from the T-80U series? But how to differentiate the different OPVT systems...? I ask because there was, for example, overlap with the T-64 series and T-80B series before it changed.
barsik
Visit this Community
Omsk, Russia
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 07:22 AM UTC
The BROD-M system was established only on tanks T-80UD, T-80UK, T-80UE and all. It is more on any tanks it was not established. And they can't overcome water prepyatsyatvy depth to 1,8 meters without preparation. Yes the BROD-M system is inside and outside of it not to see. BROD-M isn't included into hinged system OPVT. On some T-64A there was a BROD system without M. The BROD system joins without a crew exit from the tank.

upload picture

upload photo

upload photo
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 10:11 AM UTC
So BROD-M is just the large trunk that is seen on the back of the t-80UE photo above.
It sounds like the exhaust is then internally routed presumably to that some trunk.
I see on the photo that trunk is only as high as the top of the turret, not as high as some of the other photos.
Presumably those other photos are for the manual preparation system where the exhaust outlet are lifted etc and this is the difference between the different systems.
The BROD-M needs no preparation, but has less depth capability, the other system requires preparation time but allows greater depth of fording.

If this is correct summary, t would be interesting to know how the trunk goes from stowed to installed position automatically, or is it permenantly installed on the top deck.

Many thanks for what has become a very ineteresting thread.
Scott
barsik
Visit this Community
Omsk, Russia
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So BROD-M is just the large trunk that is seen on the back of the t-80UE photo above.

No, not one component of BROD-M system outside it is not visible. Everything is under the reservation. In total that is visible from above any relation to BROD-M system has no. By appearance of the tank at all you will not determine the BROD-M system is established on it or not. It is just necessary the nobility on what tanks it it was established

Quoted Text

The BROD-M needs no preparation, but has less depth capability, the other system requires preparation time but allows greater depth of fording.

Exactly so. To include BROD-M system to crew it is not required to leave the tank and doesn't demand preparation. To establish OPVT system about 40 minutes of time of effort of all crew are required.

free picture hosting

Excuse that I don't answer your some questions. Simply I don't know English. Also I use an online translator. And through it not always correctly translates the text. And I can't simply understand sense of your question..
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Many thanks for what has become a very ineteresting thread.
Scott

I second that!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
I understand that the BROD and BROD-M are internal systems. OPVT is what I am asking about now. Are there different designations for the differing systems that have been in place, specifically between the T-64, the T-80B, and the T-80U/UD?
barsik
Visit this Community
Omsk, Russia
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 06:45 AM UTC
I don't know as precisely they are designated. But on T-64, T-80B, T-80U, T-80UD there are different systems OPVT. The truth on T-80BV after major maintenance put OPVT similar T-80U.

free image hosting

free image hosting

photo hosting
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 09:08 AM UTC
any idea of the purpose of the track links mounted on the commanders cupola in photos #2 and 3 ? It looks as if they're serving as a counterweight of some sort.

Sean
barsik
Visit this Community
Omsk, Russia
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

any idea of the purpose of the track links mounted on the commanders cupola in photos #2 and 3 ? It looks as if they're serving as a counterweight of some sort.

Sean

Indeed. On a komandirsky turret spare траки are fixed for a counterbalance.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
I see, but counterbalance for what ? Everything on the cupola looks to be standard T-80 B.

Sean
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 09:11 AM UTC
Scott,
this site may come in handy,
http://russianarms.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=627
I can't tell from the SAAM website how the air intake trunk is intended to mount with the SP designs kit but note that in reality it mounts at what looks to be about a 30 degree angle to the longitudinal axis of the turret
(see the top view photo on the website) and not perpendicular. I'm guessing this is so the main gun doesn't obstruct the drivers hatch if he has to bail out while fording.

Sean
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 04:07 AM UTC
Sean,
Many thanks.
I had the primed model at model club on Friday and a colleague queried the non perpendicular aspect of the mount on turret.
He has way to much knowledge on this stuff so made me concerned I had it wrong but was the only way I could get it on.
Good to see that about 30 degrees was right.
Feel relieved now so thanks.
Scott
 _GOTOTOP