_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
RMG - Davhowell - Fallen Brother
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 268 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
The Idea for my Dio will be of a British Soldier Dragging A Wounded Soldier behind a Mobelwagen that was Hit By Machine guns and have some dead germans around it.
Im Still Trying to figure out If I should have a building or Hedges. I Think Ill have either a small wall or hedges and have the Mobel wagen beside it.

The Figures (If I can find them) Will be from the Verlinden (Red Devils at Arnhem 1944) Diorama.

The Ground will be mud and Grass with Lots of tracks from tanks and other Vehicles, If I do a wall Ill have part of it destroyed so IT will tell a story of a missed tank round hitting the Wall instead of the Mobelwagen and the crew went into panic and tried to run.

zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
thats a nice idea davhowell

the figures that are in the verlinden dio are sold seperate

you should be able to find them

greets
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
Sounds very good Dav !!

I would go for a typical Dutch Fence or a broken down wall.... I added pictures of a diorama I saw during the Scaleworld in Geel (Belgium).... this dio could have been a live picture from the actual street in Oosterbeek.... Maybe this gives you a bit of an idea of what I intend to describe :

Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:06 AM UTC
Thanks For the Help Those Pictures give mea great idea. As for the Figures I Already have them from the Verlinden Set just have to dig to find them

Still have to Figure out how to Do that wall never tried to make one before.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still have to Figure out how to Do that wall never tried to make one before

Well, this looks to be a good question for our RMGBA (Remember Market Garden Building Advisor)...General Failure.... He's pretty good with walls...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
Nice idea - Dragon has some Red Devil figures also.

Here's my two cents on the wall
I have made some regular size brick walls this way - same thing different size brick.
Take a scrap piece of wood (hard wood) cut it to length and width at about 2mm low and narrow. You can shape as you like. Seal it with laquer to make it water tight. Then add a thin layer of household spackle and let it dry. Get it as smooth as possible. Then as it drys (but not all the way) you can stipple it with a stiff brush to give some texture to the oveall wall. Once it is totally dry you can use a pencil and draw on your bricks, then take a scribe tool and etch out the grooves.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
I would certainly go for a wall, not for hedges.
Making a convincing hedge is a LOT more complicated than a good wall.
Just make sure the thickness of your wall is realistic (between 20 and 30cm thick in real life, divided by 35. People often make them too thick, so watch out for that !

I suggest to make the wall in plaster, rather than wood or styreneL When you break the wall (gun shot) that looks a LOT more convincing.
When you break down a section of the wall from the impact of the tank shell, make sure the rubble accounts for the missing wall section. You can't blow away a wall and only have 10 bricks and some sand laying around. You need a MESS laying around where the shell impacted or where a tank drove through that wall (tanks have the nasty capacity to do that with garden walls

To make a good wall, make sure you know what wall you want this to be before you start building it. Maybe find some pictures for reference. Not to have it historically correct, but to get the right feel. It will look so much nicer if you use some reference first !

My 2 cts...

nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 11:33 AM UTC
Plaster for the walls would take my vote, it is easily worked with. A dremil tool, or a scriber will allow you to create the texture as well as the battle damage you are looking for.
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
Ok I Think I May change this dio around. Today I Started work on the Base (Plaster Poured into the back of a picture frame with glass below it and covered with tin foil. I Poured ready mix spackle from the tub (Well My dad did and smothed it with a ruler)

I think I May change it to a street with a wall and some german infantry moving up threw rubble.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 12:19 AM UTC
i believe that plaster walls in own molds is the best solution ever you do them any thickness and size you want them you can also can add some concrete powdered colour to precolour it and then with scribbing you do a hell of tricks on it bricks stones breaks or whatever ..
Davhowell
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
Yeah Goose thats what I Tried yesterday Minus the Brick Color. But Waited too long and was messing around to long and the plaster got hard before I Could pour it like a dumb dumb
 _GOTOTOP