Hosted by Darren Baker
French VAB suspension pictures?
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 09:29 AM UTC
I have tried searching for some images of the VAB (6X6) suspension, most notably the wishbones or A-arms. The HELLER kit has you assemble 2 pieces to form one arm, so should I sand down the seams along the side? I have checked out a few walkarounds but nothing conclusive jumps out at me or even a clear picture.

Not a big detail freak, but I figured while I was there... sand them! I might even go with an interior, since the kit is not that complex.

Also, any information on this vehicle?

I found it on Oliver's Site http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm and thought it might be worth replicating.

By the way, I hope it was okay showing this picture here as for discussion only? What a great website and many images of VAB's.

~ Jeff
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hey jeff this might help some, just go to the VAB series for the pictures. Their is no 6x6 pictures, but the 4x4 will work for what you are looking for.

http://www.primeportal.net/the_battlefield_armor.htm
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 10:40 AM UTC
I looked already but could not see a clear picture.

Unless you're seeing more than I am, being that I'm old and have an illness.

~ Jeff
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 10:46 AM UTC
Nevermind, I did find a clear picture and they are smooth.

Thanks Chris, guess I just gave up looking too soon. Must be because I am old and have a cold too.

~ Jeff
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
Your welcome Jeff I'm in the same boat as you, been running a temperature and entire body just aches since lastnight.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 12:20 PM UTC
Take my friend and get well soon.

I do hope to someday meet my 2 buds from Texas.

~ Jeff
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 10:10 PM UTC
So, no one knows anything about this picture?

Just curious if it was deployed like that or it was decorated where it sits. Kinda looks neat to duplicate on my 6X6 VAB.

~ Jeff
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 05:55 AM UTC
Jeff,
I'm glad you like my site
This VAB belonged to the company I was the XO. As you can see, it is still plain green. At that time, all the vehicles of the regiment were close to be painted in the new three-tone camo.
During an exercise, the crews of various VABs decided to give their mount a special look that would not long too last.

This VAB was the command VAB of the company. You can see it from the antenna mast support just in front of the fuel tank inlet on the left side.

If I remember correctly about 5 or 6 VABs were decorated with other names. This one was the only one with a shark mouth.

Unfortunately, during the exercise the regiment commander appeared unexpectedly ! Our "joke" didn't please it at all and the company commander had some bad time explaining our boss it was just fun before repainting the whole fleet of VAB.
Before we returned to our base, we had to remove any non regular marking we painted. No need to say it was not fun at all and we had to scratch quite hard to remove the paint. In some cases, the bare metal showed up.

Now you know all the story about it. I'm really happy to have saved this picture which reminds me of some nice time.

Olivier
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 06:41 AM UTC
AND, I hope you don't mind but for the time being it's my desktop background as inspiration!

It'll last for a few days then I'll stumble upon another image I like but thanks for the story and it's history.

~ Jeff
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AND, I hope you don't mind but for the time being it's my desktop background as inspiration!

Not at all it's a nice idea Jeff
The shame is that I built quite a lot of VABs and never painted one like that myself
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 05:43 AM UTC
Sorry for the off-topic post, but I need to let Christopher Ager know that I need to reach him via email on a very important matter.

Christopher - Please check your yahoo email or if you don't have it anymore let me know how to reach you via email.

Thanks,
Jim
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 05:01 AM UTC
Look at here.
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/photoengins/france/famille_vab/vab1/index.htm
 _GOTOTOP