Hosted by Darren Baker
T-34/85 1945
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 03:41 AM UTC
I would like to thank all those who have replied to my postings. My intent is to show the many products available to the 48th scaler. There is a wealth of such materials available when you include O scale model railroad and quarterscale dollhouse accessories. That makes 48 scale the near-perfect scale for the diorama enthusiast. For example, look at the products on this diorama: The poster column is from Hauler, as are the anti-tank obstacles and barbed wire, with several of the posters from Unicorn Models (Belgium). The public bench is from The QuarterSource (Florida), and Aber makes one, too. The street lamp is a resin creation from Verlinden. Kancali latex cobblestone sheets were used for the road. The figures are from GasoLine. Rounding it all out is the T-34/85 angle-joined turret from HobbyBoss with RB metal barrel and Hauler engine grills.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 03:59 AM UTC
Your work makes me rethink my preferred scale of 1/35. The tank is looking really good. Looking forward to seeing how you detail the figures.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi, Yank. I'm hoping that I can inspire those who have not tried 1/48 to get into it. If you like dioramas, then this scale is smaller and cheaper and just as satisfying as the larger scale. I don't think the figures can be detailed further. I guess they are not clear in the photos, but the commander has a cigarette in his hand and the crouched figure is painted so that he is depicted as wearing gloves and is holding a wrench. Both have pistol belts, painted with leather colour, and their helmets have been brushed with buff and light grey pigments to show wear and tear but also as an indication that street fighting is dusty business. Because 1/48 does not require such fine detail painting, I usually do the flesh parts simply by painting the parts Flat Earth for shadows and then dry brushing areas such as the cheeks, nose, forehead, tops of fingers with buff and similar colours.

I think my favourite parts of this diorama are the the speed limit sign bent back from the pressure of the barrel and the smiling girl on the poster, which I have also used on my gasthof diorama.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 08:08 AM UTC
I can't tell that the flesh parts are painted any color, other than green. Could you post a close up of them?
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 08:18 AM UTC
All I have at the moment is this shot from the original diorama I completed two years ago. This shot, although not a close up does show the dark base and highlight technique I use.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 09:09 AM UTC
Looks to be much better lighting. It shows off the detail very well.
GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC

Great work!

I really like this one. I especially like the big drum added to the T-34's side: Right up my alley, and very well done... The tank's green is just right, as are the roughly applied white bands...

The only thing that bugs me is the streetlight, which doesn't look damaged but is not set perfectly straight...

Gaston
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi Gaston, the skewed streetlight is more of an illision, a trick of the photograph than can be discerned viewing the scene in person. I just completed this diorama today, finally adding some bricks to each end of the sidewalk-disguising the latex sheet and foam underpad.

Empty fuel drums and logs offer expedient anti-panzerfaust protection. The white line was hand-painted, requiring almost no effort.
 _GOTOTOP