Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Armor Pro LVT(A)-4, kit 7388
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
I've had several things in the works with reviews, campaigns and the like and as can happen, circumstances got away from me. Anyway, last July (2011) I did a build review on the Dragon LVT(A)-4. Due to other commitments I only took the build in the review to the point of a base coat of the predominate colour. I've worked on it on and off and finished off what I hope were the last few touches.

The build has an enhanced interior but is otherwise out of the box. It's painted to represent a vehicle of the 2nd Armoured Amphibian Battalion on Iwo Jima in 1945.

And just for interest sake, here's a picture of an early Japanese Type 97 Chi Ha tank in front of its adversary.

Thanks for looking and all comments or questions welcome.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 12:38 PM UTC
Jan, very nice execution and neat camo; I have to say that with that finish and the base, you've developed something of a style from which I think I might have recognised this model as being one of yours!

As for several things in the works... it's good you have the time for all of this... you certainly are keeping busy.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan, very nice execution and neat camo; I have to say that with that finish and the base, you've developed something of a style from which I think I might have recognised this model as being one of yours!

Thanks you Matthew but now you give me cause for concern or worry! Is developing a notoriety or "signature" style a good or bad thing? I have often commented to people in a local IPMS club that a particularly successful prize winning member has a recognizable "style." Even my wife can constantly pick out his work either at a show or in photographs. Personally, I have thought that the look of my models has been evolving in stages and I can see a change in them over time.

Quoted Text

As for several things in the works... it's good you have the time for all of this... you certainly are keeping busy.

It's not that I have so much time as having discovered how to organize or optimize it. There is always a point in a build that one must wait for this or that to dry or set or whatever. As I have a number of outstanding builds such as this one was, I decided to use this "dead" time and concentrate on the finishing process on others. Lets see if it lasts!

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
Jan,

Beautifully done and I don't remember there being a blog about this, only a review were it was still green. I love how the turret interior looks and is that tow cable on the back a separate piece or did you make it. I agree with firstcircle in that there appears to be something unique about builds you post. Can't put my finger on it but it might even be the camera or lighting or something. It's nothing bad, just distinct. Will you be entering at at any of the upcoming shows (Kitchener, London, Ajax)?

Regards,
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC
@AJB - That's right AJ, there wasn't a Blog, just what you saw in the review. Thanks for the kind words and the tow cable is just the moulded on one. Funny how sometimes a single little piece of a model can get one's attention.

Quoted Text

I agree with firstcircle in that there appears to be something unique about builds you post. Can't put my finger on it but it might even be the camera or lighting or something. It's nothing bad,

This comment doesn't exactly relieve my concerns but again, thanks for commenting on it. As I'm always fiddling with the camera to hopefully get better pictures I can't be 100% sure if I did much different. However, since digital pictures have shooting information imbedded in the image I can always check out what my settings were. One thing I did do differently was use an indirect remote flash with a reflector.

Quoted Text

Will you be entering at at any of the upcoming shows (Kitchener, London, Ajax)?

I have no plans for any of those shows except that Ajax is extremely doubtful. Besides, I rather like the idea of surprising any potential competitors.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP