_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Cannot Find Japanese Artillery Brown Paint
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 04:53 PM UTC
I've asked previously about getting Japanese Artillery Brown paint, and I was told about several manufacturers who make said color. Trouble: I've found only a couple of sellers of such paint and they don;t carry that color anymore.

Anywhere else to look? I heard about mixing two Tamiya paints but my search of this site has been in vain. Somebody else must have used this color!
tha_militant
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 04:04 PM UTC
A couple of links i found that you have probably already read

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=241289

http://www.network54.com/Forum/449919/thread/1224434471/Color+match+for+Japanese+Artillery+Brown

I'm almost positive that I have used the XF-64 for this color

but if your anything like me it has to be exact and nothing else will do

good luck in the hunt
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 03:53 PM UTC
Tom,
I bought a copy of Nick Millman's "Japanese Armor Colors" (reviewed here on Armorama) and his extensive research, original sources, and color values make this a definitive reference. It has changed my choices for IJA colors by correcting mislabeling and misinterpretation. He also provides original plates provided by Steve Zaloga from APG archives.
Tsuchi kusa iro, referred to by US Intelligence as "Japanese Artillery or Gun Brown" is a khaki drab also known in the IJA as Ordinance Khaki. If you want an acrylic out of the bottle, take a look at Vallejo Model Air 71023 Hemp. It is a perfect match to every sample in the book.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC
Not having ready access to Vallejo paints (nobody locally sells them), I remembered an old trick about mixing Tamiya Khaki and Khaki Drab paints. I mixed a set and got a mud brown and greyish color. Would it be right?

BTW, I'm making a type 94 tank for 1930's China.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 06:50 PM UTC
Here's the 3 colors, painted on white styrene and photographed under OTT Lite daylight balanced lighting.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 07:09 AM UTC
With no digitial camera in my possession, I'm hoping my guess was correct enough and my problems solved. It would be a browner version of the Tamiya Khaki, and the pre-1942 tank pictures I've seen appear to be more brown than green.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
Yes, I agree that "a browner version of the Tamiya Khaki" is a fair description of the color.
 _GOTOTOP