_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Valentine Mk. III/Mk I VS Mk II differences
qikmerc
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 03:19 AM UTC
Alright - how can one tell the difference between the Mk. I and Mk. II configs of the Mk. III (confusing as hell, I know). Miniart provides two styles of wheels and it appears stowage boxes too. Are there any "rules" based on units or time frame like Operation Crusader ??? I really want to build the AFV club as "Horatio" overall Lt. Stone and the Miniart as "Harry II" (Caunter colors not per the instructions). Any input appreciated! Cheers!

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC
Not sure about the kits, but according to our friend Wackypedia the Mk I had a petrol engine (that's gasoline in the US) while the Mk II had a diesel. Visually, the Mk II had an external auxilliary fuel tank on one side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine_tank

By the way, the confusing designation breaks down as:

(primary) Tank, infantry, Mk III for the basic type of tank,

(secondary) "Valentine" for thhe type name,

(tertiary) Mk I , Mk II, etc for approved detail variations

Still, the US at the time was calling everything "M-1", whether it was a rifle, carbine, or helmet! Kinda adds to the excitement when opening a packing crate...

Tom
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 04:00 AM UTC
The easiest way to tell an Infantry Tank Mk III, Valentine, Mk I, from an Infantry Tank Mk III, Valentine, Mk II (phew!) is to look at the rear angled plate and the access doors for the transmission. The Mk I has only one door (on the left, I think, and the Mk II (and all other Mks) have two doors. You can tell if there is one door or two by looking for the prominant hinges and door handles. The shape and details of the rear angled surface is almost identical otherwise.

For the cognocenti, I also think the stowage box arrangement and details were different between the two marks, but I'm not positive and changes in service can mask that difference. Just to confuse matters further, I think (emphasize, THINK) that some of the last Mk Is had two doors as well, but its is only a vague memory and I'm not at all sure it is true.

There are other small differences in the Mk Is & IIs (I think the exhaust/muffler shield is an open mesh on the Mk Is and a piece of sheet metal on the MK IIs, or maybe the other way around) but the doors are the fisrt place to look.

HTH

Paul
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still, the US at the time was calling everything "M-1", whether it was a rifle, carbine, or helmet! Kinda adds to the excitement when opening a packing crate...

Blame the bureaucracy that adopted a standardized nomenclature assigning a sequential model number to each class of procurement item, so that you had "Light Tank, M7", "Medium Tank, M7", "Heavy Tank, M7", "Howitzer Motor Carriage, M7", etc.
qikmerc
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 08:11 AM UTC
Excellent place(s) to start - now to pay much closer attention to the rear and rear-quarter views. Someone also suggested looking at the AFV Club Mk III/I and II box contect & art. Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP