_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How to get a "sheen" for nylon webbing, etc?
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hi,
I'm painting some 'Nam figures in 1/35th scale & some are wearing Army flak jackets & nylon packs & pouches.
What method should I use to get the "sheen" or shine on the flak jacket & packs?

While we are on the subject of 'Nam & personal kit: some of the Bravo 6 figures are wearing a pack that has 2 outer pouches on it. So a qestion for you 'Nam dudes: is this the so called NVA pack & what material was it made of? Nylon or canvas web?

Thanks for your help.

Joe.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hey Joe, maybe for your shinny nylon stuff and such, might some gloss clear coat work?
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 06:27 PM UTC
Hi Bob,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I thought that might be the case but I'm pretty new to figure painting & just wanted to make sure.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go today.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Joe.
walley54
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 02:22 AM UTC
Joe, I would use a satin finish clear coat, the gloss would be to shiny. NVA and Vietcong backpacks were a canvas material that were mostly issued in a khaki color, I have one in my collection. It was uncommon for regular grunts to being using these packs, mostly used by Macv/Sog, LRRPs etc. Hope info is helpful.
WalleyV
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hi Walley,
Thanks for your reply. I did think that the gloss might be too shiny & was going to try the satin first anyway. I'll keep you posted on how I do.

Regarding the NVA packs: Are you familiar with the Bravo 6 figures? I have used the figures that are from "Platoon". They all have packs with just 2 pouches on the outside. Can you confirm that this type of pack was not usually used by regular infantry units?
I have a US Issue tropical rucksack in my collection, made from the good old shiny nylon! So great reference material at my house!

Joe.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 03:21 AM UTC
Given the scale of the subject, I think trying for a sheen on your web gear etc is asking for trouble then you want. Its going to be very hard to get it "look" right.

TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 03:30 AM UTC
If you're using tamyia acrylics, I've had good success mixing their flat paints with a drop of future to get a very subtle sheen. Capturing the look of nylon is tricky.
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bob,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I thought that might be the case but I'm pretty new to figure painting & just wanted to make sure.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go today.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Joe.

Joe, Tamiya and Vallejo have semi gloss . Either would work. Dirty the Nylon a little and you'll have it. I always used a butt pack, just hung off a pistol belt with suspenders . Mine was older , a cotton/canvas model. Canteen covers were nylon. So, you can have a mixture.

This help,mate?
walley54
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 05:12 AM UTC
That is correct, would not be normal for regular infantry to be using an NVA backpack. I believe the characters in Platoon used NVA packs in the movie, that's why Vlad used them on his figures. Better off with a butt pack as was mentioned, or a tropical rucksack. The butt pack would have been more common for short patrols.
WalleyV
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 06:08 AM UTC
In 1/35, the sheen on nylon would not be seen. It is best to do the figures in overall flat colors. Also, gear quickly gets dirty and worn down in the field and the sheen of the nylon is quickly covered up.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2012 - 11:03 AM UTC
Tony Q. may be more right then not, I think - but I would give the Future added to Tamiya suggested by Tony S. above a try if you desire getting just a little satin going on. It does work quite well for getting a little sheen into these sometimes overly-dead flats.

Also, it may be worth trying dry-brushing a little Future, or Future + darker color mix, onto the most-exposed and dirt-prone portions of webbing, etc. Fabric webbing, like well-worn dirty blue-jeans, collects packed-in dirt and grease and takes on a darkened, shiny look on edges - which MAY or may not be worth trying to catch in a dirty figure. Just IMHO, of course!

Bob
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2012 - 11:18 AM UTC
It just dawned on me. I had a nylon back pack and after some time it lost its shine and turned out flat looking. Went and checked whats left of it and no shine left on it at all. It is about 15 years old but the use over the years could reflect constant use quicker.So if your equipment is not new, go with the dull or flat look.
 _GOTOTOP