_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1:35 FV106 Samson Mk 2, + Bar Armour + ECM
Kallisti
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: July 17, 2012
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
This will be my build log for my entry in the Operation Afghanistan Campaign. My aim is to build one of these:



From this:



From the left:
Accurate Armour's Samson kit
Fruilmodel Tracks
Echelon wing Mirrors
Spares left over from Scimitar build
Spare PE from the Eduard Scorpion and Scimitar sets left over from previous builds
Evergreen and Plastruct plastic strip!

Now this isn't as daunting as you might imagine since I completed a bar armoured Scimitar a few weeks ago - you can see photos of this in my sign area underneath. This required a huge initial research project into the dimensions of bar armour then a long time experimenting with trying to build it which used up a very large amount of plastic strip!

With all that discovery out of the way, I now know how to build bar armour - this time its just building to a slightly different pattern! The big difference here is the Scimitar I built was a 2006 vintage one, before the ECM upgrade was added. What this did was add the "spoiler" to the rear of the vehicles along with a plethora of aerials and antennae, plus those very peculiar looking "pods" that stick out the front, along with some other bits and pieces.

Now the Samson from Accurate Armour is of the old hull, which has differnt grilles AND most importantly has the commander's hatch in the middle. The Mk 2 hulls in use now have the commander's hatch behind the driver, just as in the Spartans, so this will need changing.

So as you can see the bar armour will be the least difficult bit of the job since I've already done it and know I can do it again

My first task has been to create a plan of the shape of the bar armour on the Samson. What is interesting (and a bit easier!) about the Samson is it doesn't have the bar armour over the rear because of the deployable earth anchor. I know the general measurements of the bar armour from the Scimitar build, but the shape and extent of the panels on the Samson is different.

No sooner said that done!



This was a much easier task than the hmmm I think it was 6 different versions of the plan for the Scimitar I went though as I learned more about it and got better research materials.

My main source of research are the Tankograd Task Force Helmand book plus the great blokes on the Plain Military forum and their superb photos from the Sailsbury Plain exercise areas such as one series of photos covering a Scimitar 2 recovery exercise in Pashtun Dawn Ex recently.

I wasn't originally planning to launch straight into another bar armour build so soon, I was going to build a Hasegawa Phantom FGR2, but I think I'm addicted to the smell of Tamiya Extra Thin cement!!!
Kallisti
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: July 17, 2012
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
Sorry to say there hasn't been much progress on this, I'm afraid I've been a little distracted with other things. However I have been continuing the research and one thing thats been settled is the hull of the new builds Samson is different from the previous version in that it uses the Spartan hull, which has the commander's cupola directly behind the driver instead of in the middle.

So comparing the hulls of my Accurate Armour Spartan and Samson I came the realisation that I could cut the front of each and swap them over, so the front of the Spartan and the back of the Samson would be a good start for the Samson build and the front of the Samson and back of the Spartan would be saved for the later project of the Scimitar 2 which will have a turret on top anyway!

So now I just need to pluck up the courage to cut up two kits that cost 65 each! Gulp!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
Joined: January 23, 2008
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 12:13 AM UTC
Wouldn't it be easier to change/scratch the rear doors?



Keith.
Kallisti
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: July 17, 2012
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 11:29 AM UTC
Not really - I've currently got two hulls, neither of which is totally correct, but by chopping and pasting I will get two hulls that are closer to how they appear now. They will still need some work, but its less than trying to scratch it all.
mattjack
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: July 05, 2007
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 10:01 PM UTC
looking foreward to watch this project progress
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Joined: June 10, 2005
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 11:04 PM UTC
Yeah, you're my hero tackling the bar armor like this.

Will be keeping an eye on this for sure.









~ Jeff
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
Joined: December 30, 2011
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 10:32 AM UTC
will be wachting this build whit interts,can not spell today sorry.
 _GOTOTOP