Dioramas: Buildings & Ruins
Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
FEATURE: New Wall Building Material
Staff MemberPublisher
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
Joined: December 15, 2001
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC
Jan has made a great one page article on building custom walls.

Check it out here

Thanks Jan!

As usual if you have comments or feedback please leave it here.

Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Joined: January 08, 2002
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 04:49 PM UTC
I have never heard of the product YTong... what is it normally used for? In what section of a store like Home Depot would I find this material?

Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
Joined: May 22, 2002
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:27 PM UTC

in our countries (Belgium and The Netherlands) we build our homes almost entirely with bricks and concrete.... for the inner walls we use big plaster blocks etc. Ytong is a material that is stronger than plasterblocks and is more easy to handle (saw). It is a plasterlike product that can be compared a bit with something you know as dental plaster.

those blocks, that we use for building inner walls, are sold in our DIY stores. For more information you could check out the international Ytong webpages... I added the link below.

Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Joined: February 22, 2002
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:16 AM UTC
In doing research on the article it appears that YTong is only available overseas (currently).

When it does arrive it looks like it would be in the 'concrete' or cinder block section.
Visit this Community
European Union
Joined: February 15, 2002
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
The material is pretty light. I suspect the manufacturer succeeds in mixing air bubbles into the plaster, making it lighter and easier to cut. The small air bubbles are what makes it look like scale version concrete, too...
But i'm sure you could find comparable (alternative, even better ?) materials if you check Home Depot or other DIY stores in the US...
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Joined: April 11, 2003
KitMaker: 1,387 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 03:34 AM UTC
Actually Jan, it's not plaster, but real concrete. It just is made in a special way and yes, it has a lot of air in it. Hence it's synonym : foam / cellular concrete.

Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Joined: May 14, 2002
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:40 PM UTC
In Ireland and England they are called "Breeze blocks". Ideal for solid walls on upstairs floors. They must be pretty common as they are available here in Sweden as well. Just dont know what they are called here!
Working with them is pretty simple as they can be sawed by a normal rip-saw!