_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Advice re creating a beach
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
I will soon be attempting a DDay diorama depicting the 29th US infantry Division storming ashore at omaha beach from a landing craft.

I have never done a beach or sea scape before.

May I pick your brains and experience for some advice as to how I go about this particularly creating a realistic sea.

Cheers

Gerry
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 02:05 PM UTC
Hey Jerry, not hard to do generaly speaking. This is how I did mine. 1- built a box for the base and painted it with oil based left over house paint, color wont be seen so it doesn't matter what color. 2- water proofed the corners with thick tackey glue. 3- took a big enough peice of styrofoam and cut it to match inside of said box. 4- cut it down into a thin triangle, higher end is the beach that shows above the water and gives the impression of the shore rising up from the water. 5- added beach obsticals and 1/2 burried debri. 6- using thick white glue all over the base, then sprinkled on baby sand. Type used in sand box's, very small stuff. 7- added my figures and any more sand needed to help figures that were laying down snug into shore, paint when dry. 8- Added water. I used envirotex, 2 part resin (mixed with tint for color) and when cured, I use clear caulking for the waves. For the foam I used Huson and Allen snow. It is made from mocro ballons so don't breath in, very bad stuf to inhale so take apropiate measures. That's about it in a nutshell. You can make bigger waves if need, mine scaled out to about 12" high. Just study some pics of the D-Day landings to get the right effect for the waves height and colors.Hope this helps you some.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 11:19 PM UTC
Bob

Thanks for the advice very useful.

Gerry
 _GOTOTOP