_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Vormarsch!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC
Ola Guys

It's been a while since I have posted on this particular section of Armorama. And truth is... I have not finished a diorama in ages. Which all changed when Get r Done MkIII came round. What started with a simple vehicle in need of some weathering ended up in a diorama with 6 figures and a goat. I wanted to post here as well in hopes of getting some feedback from the Diorama guys.

Some backstory. If you look at a lot of diorama's often there is some story that is told. Often it is funny as well. Nothing wrong with that but one might get the impression that WW2 was really a collection of funny anecdotes strung together. I wanted to portray a fraction of a column on the move.The two soldiers with the Steyr 250 just had a little break and are gearing up to get going again while the column of soldiers move past. The figure on the left drinking from his canteen and the soldier carrying the MG34 were deliberatly put out of the scene with one leg to give the impression they are really part of a much larger column marching through the frame. The soldier standing near the frontside of the car is looking at something that happens out of frame in the column... Possibly a funny anecdote.

Ok here goes
First some shots of the groundworks solo

And curtains up for cast and props

I'm really looking forward to your feedback guys.. As I said It is a long time back I actually finished a diorama this size. Well actually it is not completely finished. Some bits and bobs still need to receive some paint. But any feedback is helpful.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
Froley
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 02:23 PM UTC
This is excellent--like a snapshot in time...an unusual vehicle. Great work.
Warren
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 09:06 PM UTC
@ Warren.
Thank you for the kind compliments. And you got it correct. A snapshot in time is exactly what it was meant to be.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC
Very very nice work all around. The vehicle,figures,groundwork and story are all first rate my friend. I also like the way that you presented the series of pics. Starting off with the empty scene and then showing the guys and the vehicle. Sort of like they appeared"in frame". Very thoughtful composition of the whole scene. NICE!!
J
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 03:05 AM UTC
I would say that a 'snapshot in time' is the perfect way to describe this dio. I think that the way the power lines are posed and the way one figure is stepping into the frame while the one at the front is stepping out really adds to the illusion and idea that this is a picture we're seeing- and it suggests to the viewer a wider image- and something to contemplate. The Steyr is also a weird and interesting vehicle for the scene and the way it and the two figures with it are posed is excellent plus the goat, signs, fence, power-line pole and the greenery give a nice bit of context to the scene in terms of surroundings.

Really nice work Robert!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC
ola guys thanks for the compliments and kind words.

@ Jerry
The way I presented the pics was unintentional. I did this built in the Get r Done MkIII where I did all the progress updates. And this was one of the last steps. Best way to photograph the details in the background is without the vehicle and the people in front of it.

@ Karl
You translate it the right way. I wanted to give the viewer the idea that he or she is looking at a still from wartime movie footage made by a propaganda unit. For that reason some parts are cut off at the base' edge while others are not to give the impression of movement. Instead of a story I try to portray a piece of war.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hey Robert, you're right , been awhile since we heard from you. Dio looks great. All the poses and the rest blend into each other well. Ground work came out good and the paint job seems to be one of your best. Your figures seem to have evolved upwards, diiferent paint maybe? They are really good. My only nit pic, as I know (incert favorite foul word here) goats, how come he's not chewing up the plant by the pole? LOL Bob
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 06:32 PM UTC
@ Bob
Thanks to you too for the kind compliments. Glad you notice my figures getting better. Did not change paint. Simply a matter of better brushes and taking more time. The rest is still good old humbrol. You are right with the plant on the goats side of the fence. When I applied it there and the same thought crossed my mind as well. However it looked ugly so I decided to leave it as is. Your comment gave me some food for thought and I have been around enough farmyards in my life to know that nothing is safe from a goat as long as he can reach it. I think I'm going to put him on a rope that is more or less tight to the spot he is standing now to show the plant is out of reach for him
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 07:33 PM UTC
Great work Robert- everything from the composition and groundwork to the painting of the figures and the vehicle which you did a great job on.
I like your direction sign Fa.Ust -very Hitchcock
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 11:56 PM UTC
Robert

Loved this dio.

Great groundwork and I think your figures are superb.

Look forward to more of your work.

Cheers

Gerry
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 01:30 AM UTC
Ola Guys

Thanks for the compliments.

@ Pat
Thanks mate and glad you like the sign. I have been slipping things like this in my diorama's for years although admittedly mostly not this clear. Just as a painter I like to put a signature on my work. I just don't like scribbling on the edge of the base.

@ Gerry
Thanks a lot for the kind words. More will come soon. I have some interesting ideas that I'm planning on working out very soon.
manicmodeler
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 02:38 AM UTC
Nice diorama. How did you make the grass patch?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 03:00 AM UTC
@ Richard
Thanks for the compliments. The grass patch is done with a few products. The bulk of the grass was made with little patches of Heki Decovlies glued together. Expensive but one package goes a long way. The border of the grass and a few patches in the grass itself was done with a product from Fredericus Rex. Preglued patches of grass that you can glue anywhere in the diorama. And finally the longer dry grass was cut from a cheap soft hair brush I bought at the DIY store.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 10:43 PM UTC
OLa Guys

Well I decided to change one small detail. As rightly was pointed out by Bob the ivy would not stand a chance against a goat that is running around freely. But I quite like my ivy so there was only one option. The goat had to be restrained.

Spend an hour creating that contraption. Want to give the idea that this was about the maximum reach the goat could get And therefore the ivy is now out of reach.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 11:37 PM UTC
Well done Robert. The goat's halter actually adds to the scene
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hey Robert, you are correct about the goats. I have a funny story about them dam critters and a stampede out of a barn once. Really decided then and there that the 3 goats had no reason for being around me. Nice touch with your sign, had to put on the mk3 glasses to see it, great little personal touch. I hope that rope is real strong as you know what the goat will do to it.LOL Looks like the critter has been chewing (cribbing) the top of the fence which adds more flavor to the story, dam goats. And yes, I still hate them goats! bob
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC
@ Pat
I have to tell you that while I was working on the Halter I had my reservations. I thought it was going to look like crap. But you are right and I discovered that as well as it suggests the goat is somehow really curious to the scene on the road. And almost straining to get as close as possible.

@ Bob
I indeed hear a kind of aversion for the goat yes
Glad you like the sign as well. I always enjoy myself adding these kind of things into diorama's. I pretty much thought up a near future project where I have a lot of opportunity to slip in hints like this
This evening I dusted up the boots of the figures with pigments and glued them onto the base together with the vehicle. I call the diorama finished now. Next up is a commission piece.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Really appreciated.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 05:09 AM UTC
Ola Guys

Well It is finished as I said. I will make new pictures of the 100% finished diorama this weekend.

In the meantime. How to check if everything is glued solid to the base. Well I always do the Down Under test with my diorama's.

New pics in a well lit background come this weekend.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
 _GOTOTOP